Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 103-104 (wrap-up)

The day began with another hearty breakfast at the hotel.  Since my train didn't leave until 11:00, I had a leisurely time of eating followed by packing.  I have to say that the stay was excellent and the staff extremely helpful and friendly -- it is an efficiently run establishment that I would recommend to anyone!

The rest of the day was spent traveling -- taking a train from Swansea to Bridgend, and another train from Bridgend to Rhoose Station, followed by the shuttle bus from Rhoose Station to the Cardif International Airport Holiday Inn.  All in all, the process took about three hours.  On the train ride from Bridgend to Rhoose Station, I met a lovely Scottish gentleman who was in Wales taking driving lessons.  We shared family photos (on our iPhones) and talked about the similarities and differences of what the process is to acquire a driver's license in both the U.S. and the U.K.

Once I arrived at the Holiday Inn, I ordered food and spent the remainder of the day in my room reading newspapers and watching the television.  Interestingly, Tulsa made their newspapers (as well as Dallas and Oklahoma City) -- with a page two spread on the blizzard-like weather from "Snow-maggedon" I.

The next day, I got a shuttle from the hotel to the airport for my flight back to Belfast via the Belfast City airport.  The winds were extremely harsh coming into Belfast which made for quite an exciting (and bumpy) last fifteen minutes of the flight.  When we landed, almost everyone in the airplane clapped heartily.  I'd have to say that it was the choppiest flight I'd ever encountered -- and I've been on much smaller planes in some pretty hairy weather before.  To make matters even more interesting, we had to circle a bit before landing.  Seems the Queen (and her husband) was visiting Belfast and had just landed a bit earlier at the Belfast City airport and to insure her safety, the security was at a higher level. 

I decided it would be much easier to stay at the Belfast International Airport hotel for my flight in the morning so I took a taxi to my apartment, packed up everything, and handed in my office and apartment keys to Queen's University staff.  Then, I took a taxi (30 minute's drive) to the Belfast International Airport hotel.  Upon entering the reception, I heard Christmas music blaring from the restaurant area.  Belfast had endured their blizzard-like weather as well (earlier in the season) and a rescheduled Christmas party was taking place.  I orderd some soup and a side of champs and joined the party!  I figured -- what a perfect way to end my wonderful 3 1/2 months' stay in Belfast.            

No comments:

Post a Comment