Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 73

Monday was a "Bank Holiday" so everything government-related was closed.  What exactly IS a Bank Holiday, you may be asking...well, a  Bank Holiday is a national public holiday in the UK and the Republic of Ireland.  Most everyone gets a day off work, but there is no legal right to not work these days. Essential services still work (e.g. police, fire, health, etc). and those employed in tourist industries and retail also work these days as they are popular for family days out and shopping.  The term Bank Holidays get their name because they are days when banks are shut and therefore, traditionally, no other businesses could operate. 

What it meant to me was that I was still unable to pick up my gift basket of scones from the post office.  It also afforded me the opportunity to revisit the Ulster Museum, which is usually closed on Monday (except for Bank Holiday Mondays). 

Outside view of the Museum

View of the Welcome Area "Window on our World" section that spans three levels

Patrick  of Ifold was born on the 17 March 1923, St Patrick's Day and died on 8 May 1931, aged eight years old -- much longer than most Irish Wolfhounds live.  He was owned by Mrs Beynon of Broadoak, Sutton-at-Hone, Kent.  A very famous champion wolfhound during his lifetime, Patrick of Ifold sired many famous hounds, including International Finbarr Boroimhe, who is believed to be the model for the hound portrayed on the old Irish 6d coin.


There was also a collection of 40 photographic tiles displaying areas of Belfast (entitled Apparatus) that had been destroyed during the Troubles and afterwards by artist Willie Doherty.  Photography of the exhibit was prohibited -- thus, no pictures.


Housekeeping duties took a bit of time as I walked Malone Road to Elm Village to pay my rent.  Afterwards, I stopped by the local Centra (stop and shop place similar to a QT but not nearly as spacious) to "top up" my electricity and gas cards.  I noticed that my gas heaters are making the same noise they had in the past -- seems they need to be bled again.  I hadn't been in the apartment much over the last week so that may have something to do with it.  Also, with water pipes being broken -- water supplies have been disrupted -- and water is used to heat the heaters.  That could account for the need to bleed as well. 

I spent a bit of time at the office as well (so American of me to go into work on a holiday -- or maybe it's just crazy me) to do some research on a couple of conference proposals I'm putting together.  Since the proposals are due at the end of the week, I thought I'd better begin putting something together in a somewhat cogent manner.

2 comments:

  1. Cool looking museum (the building as well as the contents).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems there was (and still remains) a bit of controversy and hard feelings from the community, especially modern architects -- when the new additions/revisions to the building were made.

    ReplyDelete