Friday, January 21, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 87

Most of today was spent catching up on my emails as I haven't had access to the Internet for a week.  I also spent some time preparing for my visit to the Bunscoil on Ormeau Road.  I received an email from one of my US Fulbright buddies, Kieran Mannion, inviting me to dinner -- so that was an added bonus to the end of the day.  We ate at Villa Italia, an Italian restaurant that I walk past every day but have never eaten at.  I had the pleasure of Kieran's company, as well as his lovey wife, Mary, and engagingly beautiful daughter, Nuala.  Kieran is practicing his Italian and is well known by the proprieter (his family makes a habit of having dinner there once a week) so we were well taken care of. 

Villa Italia has over 300 seats and been well established on the South side of Belfast in the University area since 1998. A listed Georgian building, its success as one of Belfast's most popular eateries, continues to grow.  While sitting under trellises of succulent grapes, surrounded by murals of Italian countryside, terracotta tiles, the subtle smell of garlic in the air and even Italian speaking waiters amongst our staff, one cannot help but feel transported to La Bella Italia itself!  I had the Linguini Scoglio -- a classic Dish of Linguini pasta, tossed with garlic, King prawns, and mussels, in a light white wine and tomato sauce.  Portions were extremely large and the food was especially tasty.  Afterwards, we were given a complimentary glass of Sambuca.  Sambuca is an Italian anise-flavoured liquer.  Ours was the colorless,most common variety often referred to as white sambuca.   It arrived at the table on fire -- with three floating coffee beans -- and we had a bit of trouble blowing out the flame before drinking the liquer.  I am one to always try something at least once, but I must say, this will likely be the last time I partake of Sambuca.  It has a strongly licorice-like flavor to it - and not being a big fan of licorice or liquer, a small sip was enough for me. 

1 comment: