Friday, January 7, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 77

Not that I'm superstitious (ha!) or have an almost OCD fascination with numbers but I had noticed on my calendar this morning that today is January 7th, and it is also the 77th day of my research stint in Northern Ireland.  Additionally, I have 29 days remaining (2 from 9 equals 7) -- so...I just knew that today would be a very lucky day.  Sure enough, when I arrived in the office this morning, I had received emails from two of the four Bunscoil principals regarding visits to their respective school!  Finally after trying for almost three weeks -- I was successful!  After several phone calls, final plans were made to visit three and I am feeling much more positive about getting a first-hand look at how a Bunscoil is run.  It looks like my calendar is filling up nicely for the week of the 17th.  Hopefully, the one remaining school (Bunscoil na bhFal) principal will return my emails/calls -- she's been quite elusive.  There's always her home phone but I hope it doesn't come to that!

I spent most of the morning crafting a "scorcher" of a conference proposal and sent it off before noon -- this on the theme of library buildings and equipment, specifically the sustainability in the design of libraries and in responding to the specific demands of the region (in my proposal's case -- Northeastern Oklahoma).   The rest of the afternoon was spent on putting together one of the three remaining proposals -- this one on the impact of technology for patron use.

As I need a "research" break (and, before it gets dark), I have decided that today is the perfect day to check out the graveyard behind the Ulster Museum next to the Botanic Garden.  Afterwards, I am off to the library to do a bit more research on journal databases and maybe pick up a couple of books.  It's been awhile since I visited the C.S. Lewis Room, so that's also on my agenda.  With only 29 days left, some of those out of town, I need to soak up as much of Belfast as possible before my departure to the States. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how time flies . . . less than one month to go! You may not be looking forward to departing, but we are certainly looking forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete