Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 94

Most of today was spent in my office either on the computer or the telephone.  I spent time researching journey travel plans for my upcoming trip to Wales.  Additionally, I made journey travel plans to visit Derry for additional personal (as well as professional) research endeavors. 

I also attempted to make additional contacts with other Irish Medium school principals but was not successful as one individual has been ill for the last two weeks and, as yet, has not returned to work.  I left contact information with the other school. 

And I worked on changing my current flight plans to the States.  Unbeknownst to me (or my travel agent) Continental had taken it upon themselves to covertly make a schedule change to my returning flight (having canceled the February 5 evening flight from Newark to Tulsa) and had postponed that leg of my journey for the following day.  The thought of a seven hour layover in Newark is one thing -- however, a layover of a day and a half is another matter altogether.  After a flurry of phone calls and emails, my flight journey was changed with an added leg from Newark to Houston, then on to Tulsa.  All in all, although it requires an additional plane change, my arrival to Tulsa is quite close to the original time. 

All of this maneuvering required that I pop in to the School of Law graduate office to use scanners, etc... so I decided that while I was "in the neighborhood" I would inquire about Queen's International Study Abroad program.  Denise was not sure of the process but gave me the necessary contact information for the Director of the International Office.  After returning to my office, I sent off an email to the Director inquiring about accreditation rules, modules counting toward final degree plans, reciprocal versus fee paid agreements, etc...

After a long day of tedious tasks unrelated specifically to my research, I decided to take a much needed break from reality and take in a movie.  Given the late hour and the fact that Monday evening are £3 night at the Queen's Film Theatre, I decided on QFT!  QFT shows the very best in new and classic world cinema as well as movies from the UK and abroad. A bit of history QFT was the first cinema in Northern Ireland to install a digital projector!  Anyway, they were showing the film NEDS (non-educated delinquents).  The plot:

John McGill is a promising student at a tough Glasgow school who, despite a family background of alcoholism and abuse, looks set to sail into university and a bright future beyond. That is, until things begin to go wrong at school and John, like his older brother before him, slips into the heady and dangerous world of Glasgow's gangland.  In the matter of six weeks, this guy goes from a straight A, top of his class student to one of the most brutal gang members on the block.  'Neds' is the 50-year-old Scottish actor Peter Mullan's third feature as a writer and director and returns him to the time and place where he grew up.  How much artistic license Mr. Mullan takes on this piece is speculative, but overall, the movie is well worth seeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment