Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pamela Louderback, Day 78

As luck sometimes happens, mine had run out by mid- afternoon.  I attempted to visit the Friars Bush graveyard but it is kept closed unless you contact the city council and arrange for tours.  I will certainly look into that when I return from London. 





Since Tom Rink and I have been conversing about the architecture of the Ulster Museum (and the controversy behind its "modern" addition) I thought I'd take a few photos of the original side to provide better perspective. 

Original part of the building

Modern addition

Closeup of architecture from original building section

A piece of modern sculpture outside the steps to the entrance

Another modern sculpture piece outside the patio area of the new addition

Irridescent tile work outside the cafe area situated in the new addition

Here are more photos of the Botanic Garden.  Since I wasn't able to get into Friars Bush Cemetary, I took a stroll around the area. 

Greenhouse behind the Ulster Museum

Path that leads to the Palm House and McClay library

Mural with oriental figures.  Directly behind is the McClay library

Closer view of Oriental mural


After doing a couple of washes last night, I finished packing for my trip to London and Cornwall this morning.  Housekeeping (checking emails) and a trip to the library to research the online databases rounded out my afternoon.  I made one more sweep of the first floor of theUlster Museum to look at the "Troubles" exhibit -- there's so much information to take in, one trip is not sufficient! 

Then, on to St. George's Market for the Variety market -- I've been to the Friday food market, and the Sunday combined Variety and Flea Market -- but have never actuallly gone on a Saturday.  So, I thought I would check it out and see what different vendors are present.  This evening, I'm going to Kelly's Cellars (quite fond of the place) for some Irish stew and traditional music.  On Saturdays, music begins at 4:30 so that'll afford me enough time to enjoy some music before settling in for an early evening.  My flight is pretty early in the morning (8:20 a.m.) so I have to get to the airport around 7. 

I've packed my laptop so hopefully I'll have easy access to the Internet to allow for daily blogs.   Oh, and before I forget -- several people have enquired about the scones -- they had been forwarded to the Botanic Post Office which closed for two weeks.  I retrieved them January 4th when the post office reopened.  Better late than never! 


1 comment:

  1. Quite the contrast in architectural syles from teh original building to the new addition. Great pictures. The mural is amazing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete