Thursday, December 9, 2010

Conclusion

My god was kind enough to make me an Indian – and wise enough to make me Cherokee. And for that I will be forever thankful. However, were I not Cherokee I would hope I could be a Dane. I have learned much about these people, and in my summary of this experience I hope to covey that to you clearly, so here goes.
I left home not knowing a great deal about Denmark nor her people. I did so deliberately, not wanting a tainted perspective (either positive or negative), but I wanted to experience the country and the people for myself. Tabula Rosa, so to speak. And Denmark showed me her true self – I believe this. And her true self is beautiful. I came to love this nation. I was treated well, and with respect everywhere I went within Denmark. Of course at the school I somewhat expected “special” treatment – not to sound condescending or the like, but everyone there knew who I was and why I was there. So it was sort of a given that I would be shown courtesies. However, the common Danes on the streets showed me the same courtesies as did the school. From this I surmise that a common trait of friendliness is shared by most Danes. Likely not all of them, but certainly all those I met. Random strangers offered to help me with my luggage, and not in an effort to steal it (as might likely happen in other places) but saw me heaving heavy bags and came to my aid. And the honesty and genuine humanness of that cab driver, I shall never forget that. I believe Denmark’s number one resource to be her people.
Denmark is a beautiful country in its own right. Many Americans may think that since it is a Scandinavian country that it is very mountainous and snowy – not so. Denmark is actually rather flat, and in many places reminded me of Kansas. Nothing against Kansas because I actually lived there for quite some time, but I never actually realized how beautiful Kansas is until I saw it from 6000 miles away – vicariously through Denmark. Though Kansas is landlocked I saw similarities between it and the seafaring nation where I lived for ten weeks. Not the beaches of course, but the interior. Denmark has slow rolling plains and gentle fields. I really enjoyed my walks there. I enjoyed the time on the beaches. I simply enjoyed Denmark and am eager to return for a true vacation.
One final thought, and that is I hope NSU and Esbjerg Handelsskole, plus the other institutions with which I connected, will work together in the future. I can certainly see some of the Danish students with whom I worked spending some time at NSU. And I will do all I can to get Denmark on the international scene for NSU students. I have nothing but praise and respect for the nation and people of Denmark and I want my students to experience all this amazing country has to offer.
Donada gohvi Denmark. I will see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment