Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 54

Being Wednesday, the day I was expecting a perishable gift basket of scones, jams, and cheeses to be delivered -- I arose extra early and situated myself in front of my living room window.  It is a good vantage point to spy any Royal Mail vans driving up and down University Strreet.  I sat there, listening to the BBC WorldService station for nearly four hours -- in rapt anticipation for my gift basket of scones, jams, and cheeses to arrive.  After hearing (for about the fifth time) about all the news and current events of the area, as well as the World Today (roundup of world news plus regional stories) my hunger overtook me around 12:30.  So I made my way into the kitchen to whip up some lunch.  I swear I was not gone from my living room perch for more than ten minutes!   I returned to my chair, and the BBC and waited a couple more hours.  By this time, I thought I would check my mailbox - mostly out of boredom - never anticipating I would actually find any mail.  What awaited me was a Royal Mail "Sorry You Were Out" card noting that the Royal Mail guys had come at that exact time that I was whipping up something for lunch!  Now, why they don't ring door bells or knock on doors, I cannot say - maybe it's against policy, or something.  Needless to say, if any of these guys lose their job due to cut-backs, they can always become Ninja warriors.  So, I have two choices -- I can either take a taxi to their office (£6 fare one way) or wait until Saturday for the gift basket to be redelivered at the local post office near the Student Union.  The latter choice will cost me only £1.50 fee.  I wonder if the cheese will make it that long...

Wednesday evening, I attended the Senior Women's Network holiday dinner.  Yvonne Galligan, Director of the Gender Initiative was once again gracious enough to invite me to a gala that would provide networking/socializing opportunities with assorted professors from Queen's University.  The evening began at 7:00 with drinks and a bit of introductions, followed by a 7:30 dinner that was exceptional!  Chicken curry over rice and mixed salad was served with a variety of breads.  Dessert was a raspberry crumble delight with cream and fresh fruit garnish.  I visited well into the evening, making my way around the table, meeting faculty from the School of Medicine, Psychology, History, Management, and Education.  I also garnered a few emails from individuals who knew of colleagues doing research in a variety of similar areas who might wish to talk with me at a later date. 

Most conversations revolved around work or research related topics but I will share a couple that were just plain fun!  One professor (of Law) is getting married at New Years.  Seems she met her soon-to-be husband through Internet dating after a friend had suggested she try it.  She in Belfast, and he in London began their relationship as friends, sort of mentors, helping each other out along the way to 'decipher' their dates messages - like a scene right out of  "You've Got Mail".  This went on for months until she was to actually meet someone she had shared to her 'friend' that may just be serious enough for future plans.  Although from the start both had said they would never meet (what with the ocean between them and neither willing to give up jobs and move) - he insisted they meet before she met with this other 'special someone'.  Long story short - they're to be married in two weeks time. 

Second story - a medical professor who works in the area of fertility shared some stories of men who refused to provide samples at the clinic facilities.  Instead, they would send their partners in (after spending a bit of time in their car in the parking lot).  One such buxom lady arrived with the 'sample' tucked inside her bra as it had to be kept warm.   Oh, and she confirmed that there is no scientifically valid research that supports boxers over briefs.  In all seriousness, though, infertility is an issue here as it is in the United States, for some.  Unlike the U.S., however, UK patients are provided with 3 fertility treatments at £5000 with government health care support, and some places even have a 'buy 2 get the third treatment free' deal.

As the evening came to an end, I was pleased with the excellent food, lively conversation, and engaging company.  Additionally, I had made several plumb contacts, had tentatively secured a seminar stint, and was invited to submit a presentation proposal to an upcoming international professional event for the library and information services sector that will take place in the States in late 2011.  All in all, it was a perfect evening.          

No comments:

Post a Comment