Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Les Hannah, day 60, part final

After lunch I had a class to myself and in this class the students had prepared some questions for me, very similar to the class I had a day ago wherein they asked me of my impressions of Denmark, what I like, didn’t like, what I thought of the educational/health/political systems. Things like that. We talked about them for a few minutes, and then it was time for my surprise for them. We went to the gym – well what we in the US would call a gym. And we played anitsodi – stickball. I brought three pairs of sticks and a ball with me. We split the class into teams of three girls and three boys and played that way. For a goal we had a sheet of paper taped high up on the wall. Then we played ourselves some stickball. This class had a great deal of fun I think. They had about 45 minutes before several other classes or small groups came in to play. There had been a sign-up sheet in the offices, and those who signed up were dismissed from fourth period to come play.
You should have seen it. It was funny, amazing, and fast paced. These Danes can play themselves some stickball now. The students took to it quite handily. We played a small tournament format with each team getting a three game minimum. We used most points scored as the determining factor in identifying a champion. A girls’ team won the grand championship; on this team was one of the teachers. I refereed the matches, and let me tell you they were action-packed. I had told these students about the girls v. boys rules and the girls took full advantage of their advantage. I think everyone had fun. I know I sure did.
The television station I had the interviews with a few weeks ago, well they were present again and filmed the matches. The school is going to be on TV again. I did a short interview with them afterwards. This time Alex was not with them, but another young man who conducted the interview. Perhaps that is why I had been thinking about Alex so much lately, the TV crew was coming back. They were there the entire time, filmed every match I think. If so then they also filmed me laughing harder than I have in a very long time. I had a blast.
But my day was not over just yet; once I finished at the school I had a scheduled meeting with a couple of chaps at an art gallery in the city centre. One was a visiting artist from Australia, and the other (the owner of the gallery) is actually a resident of Esbjerg, but he spent a great deal of time in New Zealand. They had met Pia and Soren at a dinner party a few nights previous and somehow I came up in the discussions. They wanted to meet me, and I certainly did not mind; after all, I am trying to make connections all over the world for my programs and students, and this seemed like another great opportunity. I found the gallery and made the introductions with the fellows, then joined them in a cup of coffee and great conversations. Sat there for over an hour enjoying the gallery and the company. Two more contacts for future projects.
Finally, after a long and busy day, I was back to the flat. I was tired, but I was happy. I had a great day. And I sat to relive it and think of my time in Denmark and with the school here at Esbjerg. I am so glad I came here. Of all the places I could have gone I know I made the right choice.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment