Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Les Hannah, day 68, part final

Today I had only the morning left in Esbjerg. I used what little time I had to complete the packing I had remaining, which was actually very little. Just the items I had left as necessities during my final morning. Once the packing was complete, I watched (at) television. Didn’t really watch anything but had the TV on mainly for noise I guess. I bet I checked the closet and drawers twenty times. With my history of forgetting things I had to re-re-re-re-(etc)-assure myself I was leaving nothing behind. Soren arrived at 11:00 to take me to the Esbjerg train station. He has done so much for me during my time here, and I certainly appreciate it all. However, this was perhaps the most important – helping me go home. I mean this in a very appreciative way, not that I haven’t enjoyed my time here, but that I home is calling.
Soren got me to the train station in time to catch the mid-day train to Copenhagen. I bade him farewell and shook his hand with the deepest of appreciation for all his friendship has meant to me. Soren and Claus are my friends, and I shall miss them. I shall miss all whom I have come to think of as friends during my time here. Another at the school is Thomas, my sports friend. He is the one who took me to the football (soccer) and hockey matches. I really had fun with Thomas at these events.
I guess I am in full reflection mode as I write this entry. I am recalling with great fondness every single second of my time during this trip. From arrival to departure I have relived every moment, and I regret nothing. I want to return, and I will.
The train ride to Copenhagen was uneventful, especially in light of the weather along the route. Light snow was falling in Esbjerg as I departed; however, heavier snow was encountered along the way, and for a time I was concerned that weather might be a factor in my departure from Kastrup Airport (Copenhagen) the next morning, but as the train approached Denmark’s largest city the snow ceased and the sun actually began to shine through. I held the optimism with a healthy dose of skepticism though as I have noticed the weather in Denmark is somewhat similar to the weather in Oklahoma in that it changes regularly and quickly.
Once I arrived at the airport I tried to check in to my flight but was told that I could not do so this early; I was about sixteen hours early, which was my plan the entire time. My itinerary called for an early flight from Copenhagen to Paris tomorrow morning, one of the first flights out, so I had intended to check my luggage and spend the night. However, that was not to work as planned. No big deal though; I would simply wait it out, watch over my luggage, check in as soon as possible in the morning, sit back and relax on the long plane ride home.
So I set my mind to spend the night in the accommodations at Kastrup Airport and check in first thing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment