Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 45

Today began with much time spent on searching for articles on my research topic.  The library website at Queen's is set up in such a way that makes it impossible to do a metasearch of multiple databases.  At least it does for me.  Each time I attempted to do what they refer at QUB as a 'QSearch' the computer returned with an error message referring to the fact that I was not an authorized user of Athena.  Ironic given my nickname back home as Athena, Goddess of Wisdom.  But here in Northern Ireland, I am just another person, and such a moniker is not attached to me.  So, I proceeded to go through each journal title, one by one. retyping my search query over and over.  It took quite a bit of time but I found a few really interesting articles.  I also stumbled across one article - having nothing at all to do with my research - that dealt with the Irish in Schuylkill County Prison (my family home stomping grounds are near Schuylkill County) and the ethnic conflict in pre- and post- civil war Pennsylvania.  I am quite intrigued by it all and plan to pursue further research on the topic after I finish my research on this topic.

The late afternoon brought another networking opportunity courtesy of one of my Fulbright buddies - Eileen - who had met with one Professor Yvonne Galligan - an old colleague of hers from years past.  Anyway, Eileen, being the consummate networker mentioned me to Yvonne who, in turn, decided to invite me to the QUB SWAN award reception.  How fortuitous was that!  Before I get ahead of myself, Eileen and Yvonne know each other through their research/work interests which deal primarily in women's issues (representation) in Ireland.  Professor Galligan is in the School of Politics, International Studies and Philosophy and is the Director of University Gender Initiatives as well as the Centre for the Advancement of Women in Politics. But most importantly - at least for me - she is Director of Research (Governance and Public Policy).  Given that I still have not sighted the elusive Scarlett Pimpernell (also known as Sally Wheeler, my academic contact) this was an opportunity to meet someone well placed in the Institution who might be of assistance to my research endeavors.

Enough about the political machinations of QUB.  What, you may be asking are the SWAN awards?  Well, the SWAN awards are given annually to women in higher education in the UK.  SWAN awards recognise and celebrate good practice on recruiting and promoting women in SET in higher education.  In 2007, Queen's was awarded an Athena silver SWAN award for excellence in science, engineering and technology employment in higher education. The award was presented to Professor Mullett for the Queen's Gender Initiative by Sir David King, the Government's Chief Scientific Adviser, at a ceremony held in March in the Royal Society in London.  This year, in 201 the University gained a bronze SWAN award. The Schools of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Geography, Archaeology & Palaeoecology, Planning, Architecture  & Civil Engineering Psychology gained a silver SWAN award.  The Schools of Mechanical & Aerospace and Nursing and Midwifery voth gained broze awards.

The SWAN award reception began at 4;30.  Snow began to fall around 3:00 that afternoon.  So, by the time I began to make my way to the Great Hall at 4:45, there was about half and inch of new snow on the ground which brought the traffic to a standstill.  Vehicles were clogging the streets, bumper to bumper and it was already beginning to get dark.  As I walked the three blocks to my destination some guy in a car full of what appeared to be 20 something students yelled out rather loudly, 'Oh my God -- it's the Grim Reaper -- What the feck!  No REALLY -- look!' Everyone in the car began screaming with laughter and passersby on the sidewalk began looking around.  Of course, I knew they were referring to me in my coat so I tried to appear less conspicuous.  Good thing I wasn't carrying anything that remotely resembled a scythe.

Once I arrived at Lanyon Building, the door to the Great Hall that I was familiar with was locked.  So, after receiving assistance from a Communications professor - they really go the extra mile here to help you out - I found another entrance.  The evening was grand with very tasty hor d'oeuvres and engaging conversation.  I was fortunate to meet with several of the award recipients as well as bumping into a visiting guest lecturer from the University of Manitoba.  Of all the people in the room - we two- the only individuals from North America - gravitated toward each other.  Nancy Hansen is an associate professor in Disability Studies and had some fascinating stories to share regarding her department, the University and retention rates of First Nation students at the University.  We spent a good half hour discussing Indigenous topics related to higher education and retention -- what a treat!   I will post photos of the Great Hall and awards post haste...
 SWAN Award table at reception

 View of the Great Hall as one enters and looks to the left

View of portratis and onlookers at reception moving from left to right


View of where Yvonne Galligan stood at the podium giving speech.

 View of additional portraits lining the hall extending on the right hand side of the Great Hall

 More portraits of important dignitaries and professors in Queen's University History

Portrait which hangs on the wall directly behind and above where the podium is situated

2 comments:

  1. you could have whirled around, making your coat fly out and whispered, "You're next!" lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll have to remember that for next time, as I'm sure there will be a next time. However, given his possible inebriated state, I could have literally served as such if the poor chap had as vivid imagination as appeared! ; )

    ReplyDelete