Friday, December 10, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 47

Today was a very fruitful day regarding research as well as contacts.  I began the day with an early trip to the library to replenish my book supply, having read several books - I was ready to swap them in for more!  I encountered a bit of a challenge in that their classification system is a combination of Library of Congress with lower case prefixes on some denoting special size and (thus) location.  For instance, a pf  preceding the call number meant it was at the end of the P's and was an oversized folio.   

After my trip to the library, I decided to 'crash' the morning coffee at 10:30 at the School of Law.  The School of Law faculty were welcoming two visitors – Professor Dan Ellis and Professor Michale Peil from George Washington University St Louis.  They are here for a short visit (1 week) to see what the School of Law and Queens University has to offer students and staff for possible exchange programmes.  Since the staff at St. Mary's University College approached me regarding the possibility of study abroad programs with NSU, I thought I'd hang around and hopefully get some tips on the process. 

I rounded the day out by meeting with Sean Ocoinn at the Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG).  It is the representative body for Irish-medium education in Northern Ireland and was set up in 2000 by the Department of Education to promote, facilitate and encourage Irish-medium education. One of CnaG’s central objectives is to seek to extend the availability of Irish-medium education to parents who wish to avail of it for their children.  Another staff member from CnaG, Réamaí Mathers, visited the Cherokee Immersion school in Tahlequah this last summer.  He was out sick when I met with Sean, but I will be meeting with Réamaí later in the month.  I thought I would share a few photos of posters displayed in the office. 




2 comments:

  1. And you as well (a day late - sorry). Good old Dewey bringing structure and organization to our lives - something most comforting for an OCD perfectionist like myself.

    ReplyDelete