Monday, December 6, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 44

I began the day with a brisk walk to the St. George's Market to check out day 2 of the Christmas Fair, with gourmet foods and festive crafts.  Several vendors had some very interesting stuff but I only collected business cards and ideas -- no purchases today. 

 Many vendors were selling products that woud assist those in third world countries.  Earth Works was one such example.  There was a nice varies of incense, music, and bags made of recycled newspaper - interesting

 Why the prices weren't twice noted, I don't know -- but this artist's jewellry was magnificent.  All sterling silver and some with semi-precious jewels.  The artist's style of twisting strands of sterling silver into pieces of wearable art created some really gorgeous pieces!  I will have to go back next month when I have a little more money.
 Just had to include this -- it was the back side of the 'Rapture Clothing -Banksy' business card - hilarious!
Really reasonably priced cloth shoes and purses, etc painted by local artist - very chic!
I'm sure it'd be a big hit with the teenagers back home.

I still have to make it downtown to the Chrtistmas Continental Market at the City Hall.  It runs until December 19th, so I'm running out of time! I wasn't able to make it last weekend but Belfast has a tradition to kick-start the festive season by switching the Christmas lights on at Belfast City Hall.  I did see a number of festive decorative lights while waiting for my taxi the other night after the smashingly successful Debating Matters competition -- but I'm sure that paled in comparison to what awaits me at the Christmas Continental Market!  There was also a number of childrens' favorite television characters with the Lord Mayor of Belfast in attendance. 

Jack and the Beanstalk is at the Waterfront until January 8th, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves are at the Grand Opera House from December 4 through January 22, featuring pantomine legend May McFetrtridge.  Not being a huge 'pantomime' fan, (okay, okay - if truth be known -- I absolutely hate pantomime -- it creeps me out almost as badly as clowns do) -- I will likely skip that one.  Another seasonal legend is back at the Waterfront which presents the Nativity story for all the family in Zephaniah Dancers' "A Christmas Gift" on December 17.  This performance is more my style so I'll have to check ticket prices and availability.  Speaking of tickets -- I am quite distressed as I had hoped to attend the (live satellite broadcast) performance (from the National Theatre in London) of Hamlet with Rory Kinnear as the lead -- playing at Queen's Film Theatre on Thurssday evening.  Unfortunately, they are completely sold out!  I have been absolutely morose since discovering it was, as my husband so clever quipped, 'not to be'.  Good thing he's thousands of miles away.  That one deserves a swat at the least, maybe even a punch to the arm with a balled up fist. 

However, there's always a chance for my luck to turn around with the Naughton Gallery's 'Wish You Were Here...? Postcards from on Unknown Artist' secret exhibition.  Following the resounding success of the 'Wish You Were Here 2008' exhibition, the Naughton Gallery is launching the first stage of a search for an emerging or overlooked artist to showcase during 2012.  Much to my excitement -- it's this week!  And I consider it a fitting endeavor on my part to immerse myself into the community - don't you?  After, all that's part of being a Fulbrighter!  It's not all work and no play. 

Professioanl artists, across the range of diverse mediums (painting, drawing, photography, mono-print, and collage)  have donated a small work to the exhibition.  Some artists are known, others are just beginning their careers -- the catch to the exhibition -- they're exhibited anonymously!  The show includes pieces by leading international artists and provides a unique opportunity to acquire rtheir work for an extremely modest sum.  All work will sell for £50 each!  Yes, you read that right -- £50 each!  What a steal of a deal.  The way it works is that each visitor (i.e., moi) will be limited to the purchase of one 'postcard' piece -- first come first serve.  The artists are going to pick one from the bunch to have a exhibition for 2012 -- this sale helps cover the cost of the upcoming exhibition.  I've already picked out my top 5 -- take a look at the over 200 examples -- which would you choose?  http://www.naughtongallery.org/sites/NaughtonGallery/Exhibitions/WishYouWereHere/

So, hopefully my luck will change -- I may not be able to see Hamlet, but maybe I will be lucky enough to become the owner of a fine piece of art by an internationally known artist.  At the least, hopefully I'll be able to secure one of my top 5 faves.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I may have to remove my moratorium on art purchases . . . if I were there! Luckily, I am not for I found far too many of these that would have tempted me to purchase . . . and so reasonably priced. My favorite was the crow (#88) but I also liked (in no particular order): 171,195,85,162,155,7,12,24,133,110,81,187, and 57. Whew!

    ReplyDelete