Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Les Hannah, day 66, part final

We did a round dance, two-step (made it a ladies’ choice), snake dance, and a potato dance. The ladies’ choice was funny to watch; I mean the actual choosing part. Some of the boys who got chosen were fighting it all the way. I saw one who was literally dragged into the arena. But I think he did eventually dance, and I think he actually stayed out there following the ladies’ choice. The potato dance was also very fun to watch. It was actually a couple of faculty who won that.
In all the “powwow” lasted right at an hour, and I think everyone had a good time. I know I sure did. This was, for me, the showcase event; by that I mean it is proof to me that I made a difference here. Students came; I think the whole school came. And they participated, well not everyone but a good many did. I would learn later that the buzz was on about the event. Students were talking and reflecting on the event, and all in a good light.
Following the powwow I gathered my things, books mostly, many of them for the final time. I still left the artifacts at the school because I had one more speaking engagement at the school. More on that a bit later in this posting. I took the bicycle back to the rental agency, checked it back in, settled my bill there (electricity, water – things like that). Then it was the quick walk back to the flat. Tonight and one more is all I have here. Once I got to the flat I packed more, some of the things I had just brought home.
I was at the flat only for a short three hours when it was time to return to the school for my final speaking event; this night was for the faculty and staff who really had not had a chance to be with me yet. Many of the teachers with whom I had worked in their classes were in attendance, so they had heard my lectures before, but honestly there were people present whom I had not even seen yet. Some of the faculty brought their spouses to the event tonight, which I thought was pretty cool. This was a catered event, with the good folks in the school’s cafeteria bringing in cheeses, fruits, some meat and breads selections, with a good variety of wines as well.
As I have noted throughout this blog, with nearly every Dane I have encountered there has been a genuine curiosity about American Indians. Tonight was no exception. The faculty and staff were interested in Indians. I gave them all I could in the time we had scheduled. Several people commented to me during the break and after the event that they wished there was more time. They had excellent questions, and were very actively engaged in the dialogue. Now I see where these students get it; they have good role models to follow. Danes are an intellectually curious people; I think that is fairly safe for me to say at this point as a general assumption about them as a people. They want to know.
Tonight was a very good night. But as with everything I have encountered so far it was over all too quickly. Pia and Soren returned me to the flat following the event, where I took a short while to pack a few more of the artifacts. The only thing I left was the stickball equipment as there might be a chance we could play tomorrow. Many of these I had to wrap for protection. I worked on that until I was sleepy (which was not very long) then I headed to bed for half of the final two times as a resident alien in Denmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment