Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 42

The weather continued to stay quite cold and I woke to another 1/2 inch or so of snow.  Belfast International was closed for some time due to the extra 1/2 of snow.  Classes are winding down and there is hardly a person in the Institute of Governance building.  The occasional small group that lingers outside my office showed up for their Friday afternoon seminar. 

Seminar Room 2 right across the hall from my office

And later in the afternoon, there was a large gathering of approximately 25 students and professors in the lounge area.  As is customary, there was food being served.  However, unlike all previous (and almost daily) occurrences, something hot was being served (maybe stew?) instead of the customary finger food that usually consists of sandwiches and cookies.  

Area where food is provided for students

I am not quite sure, but I think most of these 'spreads' are put out for the Institute of Irish Studies students instead of the Governance students.  And I can only imagine their food budget -- they must have a really nice budget for these things because, I kid you  not, there is usually some sort of food provided on almost a daily basis.  And, of course, there is always tea and coffee provided.

I thought I'd take a few photos of where I spend a good deal of time lately - the Insitute of Governance.

 This is 53-67 University Road -- the Institute of Governance, Public Policy and Social Research.  The Institute of Irish Studies also shares space in the building. 

 Entry foyer to the building.  The Institute of Irish Studies placed a poster out yesterday at the foot of the stairs.  Their offices are held on the third floor.  Seminars are held on the second floor.  Offices for the Institute of Governance are held on the first and second floors.

The Institute of Irish Studies is always quite busy and has a strong presence with conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.  I've attended their Monday afternoon lectures -- very informative.

 View of the second floor hallway on the left leading to the area where food is usually served. My office is to the right down the hall through the yellow door.

The Governance General Office - I'm not sure of it's function or purpose - nobody is ever in the office. 
It's about three doors down from mine.

My office -- Room 01.026
The '01' denotes it's on the first floor (actually 2nd floor) since the first floor is denoted as '00' or the 'ground floor' which took a bit of getting used to -- I would inevitably go to the wrong floor when looking for different rooms.  and the '026' denotes my room number (Room 26)


I spent the late afternoon posting letters and postcard after visiting the Student Unioin for a pot of Earl Grey tea and a scone.   I find it educational and informative from a cultural standpoint to perch myself near the entrance and watch students interacting with each other.  It also provides a livelier environment from which to write letters and cards.  And any excuse to sip tea and much scones is a good enough reason for me! 

All week long, a group of students have been playing the sound track to 'Rent' in preparation for the weeklong events tied to S.H.A.G. Week -- sexual health and guidance week.  It's one of my favorite broadway shows so I've really enjoyed being able to listen to the soundtrack. 


Yesterday, I noticed several artificial Christmas trees had been set up around the Union area.  It still doesn't quite feel like Christmas to me though.  A trip to City Centre's shopping mall district will likely help.  I keep meaning to make it downtown but never seem to get there!  Maybe tomorrow...    

1 comment: