Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 57

I woke to more snow.  Unfortunately, due to the weather, I was unable to get my gift basket of scones, etc...because the post office was not open.  I had planned to walk to Central Station to save a few bucks but decided to catch the train from Botanic Station instead.  It worked out really well in that I didn't have to drag my suitcase very far - quite a challenge given the sidewalks had not been cleared of the ice and snow - and I also discovered that a ticket from Belfast Central station to Dublin Connolly station included the short trip from Botanic to Central!  Also, I wanted to inqure about my voucher situation.  I had pre-purchased my train ticket online and was supposed to receive a voucher in the mail.  I'm guessing the weather played a part in the voucher not being posted in time to my mailbox.  The rules clearly stated that travel would not be permitted without the voucher - but the gentleman I spoke with at the Botanic station said not to worry - that the guys at the ticket counter at Central could print one out for me. 

Many of the trains were beginning to be either delayed or cancelled but I made it to Central with only a thirty minute delay - plenty of time to make my Dublin connection.  When I arrived at Central, there were dozens of children queud up - as well as small children can actually stand in line for more than ten minutes - for the "Santa Special".  It had been delayed for quite some time so kids were beginning to either get fussy or run about the general area.   The call for passengers for the train to Dublin was made so I (and all the other passengers) had to wade our way through the mass of children.  A few minutes before our train left, a huge black train pulled into the station next to our train.  If you've every read (or seen) the "Polar Express" -- this train could be it's double!  It had a couple of inches of snow on top as well which added to the whole festive affect.  As our train pulled out, children began boarding the "Santa Special" train with the assistance of workers dressed as elves. 

The trip to Dublin took a bit longer due to weather challenges - snow on the tracks - so we had to disembark at Portadown, walk from platform 1 to platform 3 and pack into a much smaller train that was not capable of the higher traveling speed the original train possessed.  But all in all, the trip only took another hour - three in all - and I was fortunate to take in more lovely scenery at the lower rate of speed. 

Although the walk was only 15 minutes from Connolly station to the Holiday Inn, I decided (at the suggestion of the Security guards) to take a taxi since it had begun to get dark.    

No comments:

Post a Comment