Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Les Hannah, day 65, part final

The coldest day leads the way for the coldest night. I awoke to more snow falling. Still not a lot has accumulated, but if this keeps up it will. Just hope there is no problem on Friday when it is flight time. Today was Monday, the day I had off at the school, so I took advantage of it. I actually slept in and took my sweet time getting around this morning.
Once up and mobile I did what little more packing I could do; nothing else to pack until I am completely finished at the school. I showered, dressed, and watched a little television; I also watched the snow fall while thinking to myself, sure looks cold outside. I actually found out how cold around lunch time when I walked into the city centre for something to eat. In the sun, out of the wind it was not too bad, but in the shade with the wind blowing, oh god was it cold. And the strangest thing too, the snow was blowing in from somewhere; while I was out for lunch there appeared to be not a cloud in the sky, yet it was snowing fairly hard. And it wasn’t just off the roofs or trees either; this was coming down when I was out in the open.
So with the weather report over and lunch covered I did some business in the city centre, like getting my accounts ready to close. Also did a bit of nearly-last minute shopping before making my way back to the flat to work on the little projects that always await me. Many of these little projects have developed from this trip: collaborations that will take time to see through, but plans should be formulated now while the ideas are fresh. So that’s what I worked on for a while.
However, I had a final dinner this evening with my friend Claus and his family. He came to the flat a little after 6pm to pick me up. His daughter, Mia, and wife, Ulla, were at the family’s flat when we arrived. The evening began with a glass of wine and some conversation. We talked about different topics for awhile, until it was time to eat.  We had chili, Danish chili, which is not to strikingly different from the chili I often enjoy back home. American chili lovers would get a kick (and I mean that) from this chili. Rather than a ground beef it was more stew-like beef, what we would use in a stew.
Now in describing this chili (first off it was good and I really liked it) I need to break out of Denmark for a moment and return to Kansas and K-State at Salina, and one of my good friends there: Jess Simpson. He and I talked chili. That KSU campus has a chili cook-off, and Jess enters his chili, what he calls “Death Row Chili.” Very hot. Jess and I discussed creating a brand of chili called Prison Chili, and it would have different levels of hotness and spiciness identified by the level’s name. For example, “Unsupervised Probation” would be extremely mild, as in barely taste it. “House Arrest” would be a bit stronger, and so on from there, eventually working up to levels such as “Life without Parole” and ultimately “Death Row.” I like my chili more toward that end. And this chili tonight was in that vicinity. What actually got me was I bit into one of the peppers – no, it bit into me. This chili was very good, and it was also hot. Did not take long for the sweat to start rolling from my forehead, but I like it like that. So I enjoyed the meal.
Following the jail break we all sat around for a good portion of the evening just talking. I liked this too. I have enjoyed my conversations with Claus and his family. I have also come to surmise that this is a trait of Danes, genuine conversations. Perhaps it has been on my behalf but every time I have been in the presence of someone in a dinner or similar social situation there has been stimulating conversations. Not just superficial talk, but good, genuine conversations. In some of the materials the Danish Fulbright Commission gave me as information on Danish culture it was mentioned that Danes value their family time. I completely see this in my experiences with the families I have visited in what would otherwise be their private, personal time. Several have graciously and repeatedly invited me, someone who is in essence a total stranger, into their homes during their personal family times, and they treated me like one of the family; I felt very welcomed, and I appreciate every moment of the time they have shared with me. Danes are amazing people.
Following the evening’s discussions, Claus returned me to the flat. I thanked him for all his hospitality, for that of his family, and for treating me like one of his family during my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment