Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 37

Sunday was spent getting ready for Gemma Sharkey's (my Donabate contact) mother's birthday celebration.  Gemma's mother had turned 82 several days previous but the festivities were set for Sunday to allow all grandchildren and great-grandchild to attend.  We had quite a spread that included venison with blueberries (to help keep the meat moist while cooking), salmon steaks, roasted potatos and carrots, sweet potatos, and salad.  We also had a bubbly carbonated drink similar to cold duck but it was pink in color and I am not certain of the origins of the fruit used for the drink.  There was also plenty of red wine for those who preferred something alcoholic in nature.  For dessert-- Pavlova -- Gemma's Mom's favorite dessert - which consisted of lady finger-like sponge cake, lots of cream and several types of fruit.  I did not partake of dessert but all who did raved over it. 

After dinner, we raced to 5:00 mass (we'd lost track of time) as Gemma and her mother were scheduled to sing in the choir.  Getting up the ramp with Mannus (in wheelchair) was quite a feat.  One wouldn't think an inch of snow would make such an endeavor almost impossible but given the incline of the ramp and the smattering of solid ice underneath the snow, it took about five minutes and three people to perform the feat!  Going down was much easier -- and quite a bit faster, as well.

I had opted to attend mass over attending a meeting with the protesting crew.  Given my religious priorities and the fact that the weather continued to decline, I thought it the most prudent choice to make.  Seems only four members had decided to make it (due to weather) so the meeting was cut short anyway.  We spent the evening watching the annual 'Toy' show on the 'Late Late Show' -- it featured all the latest toys for children as well as assorted amateur acts (singing, dancing, etc...) from children in the area.  Some of the acts were actually quite talented.  Others -- not so much.  All in all, it was a pretty uneventful day for me research-wise.  I read a bit from one of my library books but mostly lounged around the house watching t.v. -- what a treat -- and petting the dogs Scoashen and Bruce.  I think if I could smuggle Bruce in my luggage and get away with the dastardly deed -- I most likely would take him back to Belfast with me.  When I visit again, I will have to remember to take some photos of my little best friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment