Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Les Hannah, day 1, part 2

Even as we walked to the security point where I would be snaking my way through the line and out of sight, Lexi was not fully aware of the implications of this particular trip. She knew Daddy was leaving and he would be back, but in her six-year-old mind she was probably thinking it would be like any other trip her father had been on in her recent memory. Not so. I think it was in the few moments just before I entered the security line that it really hit Lex; Tori told her, “Daddy is going to be gone for a very long time.” Lex wanted to come with me. She was ready to climb on my shoulders and share this adventure with her Daddy. And I was ready to bring her – or cancel and stay. Lexi began crying – HARD! And that was killing me inside. Walking through that security line to begin this adventure suddenly became the most difficult thing I had ever done. My daughter was bawling for her Daddy, and her Daddy was trying very hard not to cry himself.
But I continued. I made it through security and walked out of sight at a steady pace. I knew if I looked back and saw Lexi crying I would likely turn around. I love my daughter very much.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me cry! I can't imagine leaving my 5 year old; we'd all be a soggy mess at the airport!

    ReplyDelete