Thursday, October 14, 2010

Les Hannah, day 9, part final

The second class was much like the first, all “freshmen” and again somewhat reserved. Although, this group was a bit more talkative. A few more students were active question-askers than in the first class. And I gave basically the same talk as the previous class, so little was very different from before. However, the third class was third year students; in this system these are the “seniors” – the ones about to graduate within a few more hours of credit. This group was lively, engaged, and curious. This age range of students is more what I am accustomed to in an American university system. These would be our second semester freshmen or first semester sophomore level students.  This group was sharp. The dialogue with them was active, entertaining – downright funny in parts; we certainly enjoyed a good laugh when I tried to pronounce some of their names or a few words in the Danish language. However, I got them back when I had them try some Cherokee on for size. I enjoyed this group, and I dare say they enjoyed me.
Before I knew it this time was also up, and that additionally ended the school day. Here, all classes end at 2:30pm, or as time in what seems all of Europe is marked 14:30. Over here that is not military time that is everyone’s time.
After closing the day, one of the English teachers here took me to the bank and shopping for groceries. The Danish Fulbright Commission set up for me a bank account in one of the local moneyries and deposited my first monthly living stipend. After showing my proper identification I was able to access my funds and assure my continued existence for the next few days by purchasing some necessities.
Mette, the English teacher who took me shopping, also took me back to my rented house. When I put the groceries away I realized how little I had. Sure it is likely enough to last me the week I intended, but it was not much. Not much at all.
So I sat there the remainder of the evening watching Danish and German language television, picking up a word or two about every fifteen minutes and thinking what a diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment