Monday, October 11, 2010

Les Hannah, day 5, part final

With yet another assurance from this card company I made my way back to the ticket window. By this time that one hour and fifteen minutes I had for the next train had also passed. The next train was for not another six hours so there was no real hurry. I tried – AGAIN! And again the card was rejected. That police officer was coming to take me away, ha ha. I was about to be arrested, but the ticket agent interceded on my behalf and asked the officer to let me try to get a cash advance from a banking kiosk that had just opened around the corner and if that failed then he could arrest me. (Gee, thanks.) The agent told me what he had said to the officer, and wished me luck at the bank. I wished for the luck too.
So with the French officer right behind me I made my way to the banking kiosk to try a cash advance. I was nervous. That officer was watching me every step of the way. As I handed my card to the banker I was wishing I had some joli to help that machine work; instead, I placed my faith in the electronics of the system. Behold it worked – and on the first try. I have no idea what was wrong at the train ticket office, but this cash advance went right through. I guess the officer was satisfied as he watched the banker count out my cash; he took his big bad dog and his big bad gun and left, no doubt to go outside and completely ignore all of the crime happening right in front of the station in what was now broad daylight.
I went back to the ticket window with cash in hand, and by god I bought that damned ticket, but I still had nearly six hours to wait. By the time I was finally to leave Paris I had spent almost nine hours there longer than I wanted. But I had a ticket and an appetite. I took my cash and went to purchase something to eat and drink. I sat there in a little café for quite a long time; I am certain I dozed off after eating. I woke myself by doing the headbob thing. Teachers know this as the post-lunch freshman headbob. As the time approached for me to get aboard a train, finally, I was thankful that I made it through the night and half the daylight and did not get mugged, stabbed, shot, or robbed. All I lost was sleep.
Finally aboard my train in the early afternoon I settled in for the trip to Brussels. Actually, my destination was Hamburg, Germany but the ticket I purchased required a change of trains in Brussels. The trip to the Belgian city was quick, at least it seemed it to me as I am certain I slept most of the way. Luckily I did not sleep through the stop. I changed trains, making my connection to Hamburg without problem. I was planning to stay the night in Hamburg anyway.
I made it: Hamburg. Just before it began to get dark. Now if I could make it to my hotel. I should mention here that the ticket agent in Paris who finally sold me the ticket (for cash) also helped me make hotel reservations at a place about a kilometer from the Hamburg station. I hired a taxi to take me there; after the kind of day I had I was not about to try to walk that and drag those heavy bags the entire distance.
I made it to the hotel, got my room and got to bed – after a shower of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment