Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Les Hannah, day 6, part 1

I slept well that night. Even slept late, for me.  After all, I was in no hurry to begin the next morning. One more leg of the journey to my destination in Denmark, one more train ride and I would be in Esbjerg. I took my time in getting up and ready; perhaps I took too much time. Housekeeping walked in on me as I was getting into the shower again. Begging pardon, she exited hurriedly. I had my shower and finished packing then left.
Calling for another taxi to take me back to the station it was nearly noon by the time I got my ticket. My train was in an hour, so time for something to eat. I had two slices of kabob pizza from an Italian restaurant in Germany owned by a man who looked and sounded like he was Pakistani. Whatever the ethnic combination there the pizza was good.
Making my way to the platform where my train would be I stood patiently awaiting the transport. It had arrived a bit early, and I was unaware of that. I thought it was a different train and stood outside waiting for it to leave and mine to arrive. Not once did I think to check the train’s number, well not until it got closer to the time and I started to realize that something was off. When I check the number I had one of those “Oh crap” moments and hurriedly boarded the train. And none too soon; I had not even stowed my luggage when the train began to roll.
The final leg of the journey, under way. It as not long before the train crossed into Denmark, only about two hours. Maybe just a bit longer. I had to change trains in the Danish city of Padborg. I went from a longer and faster regional train to a two car, slower train, a train that looked more like an airport tram than a mass-transporter of human cargo.  I didn’t care what it looked like, just so long as it got me to where I was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment