Sunday, October 31, 2010

Les Hannah, day 19, part final

Once I got passed that moment the remainder of the time went well. We were together for about an hour; the questions were good and I think the responses were appropriate. I did some gentle correcting along the way. My responses were efficient; after all, we were pressed for time, yet they were informative. Once we finished I thanked them for coming and their inquisitive minds and wished them fare well. I made it a point to shake each one’s hand, especially Alex.  I shall pray for him by the water.
I returned to the grammar and citation questions only briefly. By this time the students were beginning to wrap up the day. A few had already left, though some still lingered. Mainly the questions at this point were from some of the other teachers inquiring about my plans for Potato Week. I shared my idea for a Scandinavian train trip with them and they seemed to agree that I would enjoy that.
Following those conversations was my regular Skype call to my family. Always good to talk to them. Lexi is silly even over the Internet. That child makes me very happy. We spent about twenty minutes talking; this is our every-other-day routine, just before Tori goes to work and Lexi goes to school. As I am finishing my day they are just beginning theirs, so the timing usually works out fine. I get about twenty to thirty minutes each time and that keeps me going until the next one. I miss them and will be glad to get home.
And speaking of getting home, well – to the house I am living in for now, wow, what a ride that was. That weather I mentioned from this morning, it had moved in. The wind was a strong head wind all the way to the house. That is shifted around from its usual direction. The head wind is typically in the morning with a tail wind in the afternoon. But not today. And it was strong the entire way back to the house; I certainly got my workout this afternoon. In fact, the wind gusted so strong a few times that it caused me to lose my balance on the bike. There was one point where I thought I could coast for a spell and rest my legs; wrong – as soon as I stopped pedaling I stopped. Just stopped. I might have started rolling backwards had I not put my feet down.  Additionally, I got rained on. Yep. Wind and rain. Now it was not a pouring rain, really just a sprinkle, but the wind was driving the drop so hard that they stung when they hit my face. Kind of felt like I might have been hunting with Dick Cheney a couple of times. I immediately changed from my cold, damp clothes into some warm, dry sweats and settled in for the evening. And wouldn’t you know it – it stopped raining within just a few minutes of my arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment