Sunday, October 31, 2010

Les Hannah, day 18, part final

As the day ended for me at school I made the quick bike ride into the city centre. Mainly I was looking for a mailing tube so I can send a few things, some artifacts I shipped over, back home when the time comes. Well, that and I just wanted to look around some more. I spent about an hour browsing around the different shops.
While in the general area I also went to the train depot to check schedules and routes for a potential trip next week. Week 42 of the year is a school break that dates back several decades to a harvest time of year. Potato Week. According to the teachers who told me of this it was when the annual potato harvest was done – by hand. And of course every hand available was needed to bring in the spuds, so of course children were let out of school for a week to help their families harvest. Well of course there are now big machines that do in a few hours what hundreds of school kids barely accomplished in a week. But they still keep the break. What a country. I am out of school all next week for Potato Week. 
I was originally planning to go back into Germany and southern Europe, but the US State Department issued the travel alert for parts of Europe, naming specifically Hamburg, Germany – one of the places where I stopped on the way here, and one of the places I was thinking of going on break. So I think now I will head north instead. There is a five day rail pass for the Scandinavian countries. I am thinking of getting one of those and just riding trains for five days through Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. So I picked up some literature on that from the train station.
Once back at the house I check on my Chilean miners to discover that number 18 had been brought to the surface; by the time I headed to bed number 21 was on his way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment