Thursday, October 14, 2010

Les Hannah, day 8, part 1

This morning I slept in – one more time. But I really could not tell because of the time difference. I was awake by 6am local time, which was only 11pm at home. I lay in bed for what seemed only a few more minutes, but I guess I dozed back off because when I looked to the clock it was a little past 8. In no panic because it was Sunday I deliberately arose and stumbled about the house, still trying to find my bearings I suppose. After all, though this is my house for the next two months it is still a strange house to me.
I came into the sun room and sat for a while, just sat. No television, no radio. It had rained more during the night; that was obvious from the little puddles on the patio and throughout the yard, but also because it woke me up a few times during the night as the drops drove hard into the roof.
As I sat in the sun room looking out over the back yard I noticed the oddest looking bird. It was about the size of a chicken, maybe just a bit larger, but looked like a pea hen, except it was grey. It had the head of a pea hen and walked as such. I watched it for several minutes as it strutted about the yard before flying off into the trees. I watched it land on a branch about fifteen feet off the ground. Not once did I think to try to get a photograph; I shall have to do so the next time I see the creature.
So following the bird watching, I lazed about the house for a while longer, finally getting up the gumption to attempt a shower in the wasser closet.  Of course everything was in the Danish language, so figuring out which way was what was a bit of a challenge. This shower has three jets that shoot water straight out (with quite the force I might add) and one shower head that I was familiar with, one very similar to the hand held adjustable one at home.
The forward shooting jets certainly felt good – well, when I was actually showering. My initial experience with them was a bit of a shock, temperature –wise. You see, when I first turned the water on the forward shooting jets were active; I assume left so by whomever was here before me. And the water was cold. I think my heart nearly stopped as three distinct streams of very cold water hit me dead on. Damn that was cold. But since my heart did not literally stop I played around with the controls for a few more moments and finally figured it out.
To balance my polar bear experience I adjusted the water to hot. I like hot showers any way as they relax my muscles. The hot water lasted only a few minutes, and I found myself in a very hurried state to finish shampooing my hair before my heart did literally stop this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment