Friday, October 8, 2010

Les Hannah, day 2, part final

That tour did not last very long as Reamai had to get going to pick up his children from their grandparents’ home. We left Belfast and headed toward Antrim, the area where the Mathers family lives. Our arrival there introduced me to some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Seeing nature like this refoundationalizes my belief in god. Some of the most amazing oceanscapes and landscapes come together on the shores of Northern Ireland to steal the breath of all who look upon it. Photos cannot even begin to approach the vista seen by the eyes of the onlooker, but I tried and you can see some of these photos on my Facebook page.  Actually, onlooker is not the best noun for what I was in those moments for looking upon some of the most glorious natural settings I have ever known.  I study languages and I know of no word to describe how I felt then, other than to say there is no greater beauty than that of nature.
That evening I met Reamai’s children, two daughters and a son, and his wife. A lovely family they are. His daughters treated me to some traditional Irish music, and his son showed me and played an Irish hand drum, very similar to many of the hand drums I have seen in many American Indian cultures. The music and the dialogue about the drum began an exchange of stories that lasted well into the evening. At least it seemed that way for me; I am sure jet lag was beginning to play a role in my perception of time. It seemed as if it should be midnight to me, but it was only around 8pm local time.
It was not long before I believe the family realized I was beginning to drag. I am sure my eyes were drooping and perhaps even rolling over in my head a bit. So they showed me where I would be sleeping and allowed me to shower and go to bed. This brought to a close a very long and tired day, but one that I shall never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment