Friday, October 29, 2010

Les Hannah, day 17, part final


What amazing young people these students are. Their minds are good. Their spirits energetic. This informal time has reinforced a stereotype of Danes I have heard. Now if this is a stereotype it is one I would not mind having. I have heard, repeatedly, that Danes are the happiest people in the world. Allegedly there was some survey a few years ago, and it is repeated every so often. Danes come out on top. What a thing to be typecast with. And from what I am seeing within the halls of this school there is a great deal of truth to this. This people are happy and they are fun to be with. I am really enjoying this informal time with these students. They talk to me – not about me. We engage in conversations; we share jokes. I was shown some Danish comedians on YouTube; though I did not understand the language I got the spirit of the jokes and antics. Some of the students translated for me, and then the funny really came through.
Since I have been here about a dozen of these students have friended me on Facebook. They text me on FB and ask how I am doing. Their teachers affirm that these students are good kids, good human beings. I am in a good place here, a happy place. I sense lots of positive energy and thoughts here.
All too quickly this afternoon passed as well and it was time to head for the house. On the way back I took a detour to one of the supermarkets here. Not really much of a supermarket when compared to those in the US. This supermarket would fit in the deli area of the Super Wal-Mart in Tahlequah, but this one is one of the largest in the city. I gathered what I needed, only a few things (I am trying to buy smaller portions because I have already had to throw some bread away – couldn’t eat it before it molded); can’t afford to throw away food here. Additionally, I had to buy small/little because of my carrying capacity on the bicycle. I can only carry what I can stuff into my backpack or strap down on the small rack behind the seat. No Sam’s club shopping for me here. They do have something like Sam’s Clubs here. It appears to be more than one different company. I have also noticed a home improvement type store strikingly similar to Home Depot, same orange colors and everything; it’s called OBI. I am not sure if that is the name or the initials, but they have cool commercials and use Queen music as the soundtrack.
So I made my way home with my backpack of groceries, along with a computer wedged in there somewhere. I settled in to watch more news about the Chilean miners. The rescue operation was only a short while from beginning. I admire those men; I had respect for people who face adversity and persevere. I have no respect for quitters – especially habitual quitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment