Sunday, October 10, 2010

Les Hannah, day 4, part 3

By the time all of those reflections had run their course it was beginning to get dark, and we were entering the tunnel. Another thought of a different type entered my mind, the thought that I had an ocean above my head. All that water. However, I did not have long to think about it as we were through the tunnel quickly. I did not time it; by the time I thought of timing it we were well into the tunnel and I just let it go, but it could not have been more than thirty minutes (probably more like twenty) and we emerged in France. The entire trip, start to stop, took right at two hours. And when we did emerge it was night, so there was a bit of time deprivation while in the tunnel and upon first coming out.
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. If it were not for the fact that I knew when we entered the tunnel and that this tunnel was beneath an ocean I would never have known the difference. It was just like another other tunnel – well, except … ah, you know, the ocean above the head thing. I guess I was expecting something more glorious, but it was, for the most part, just like any other train I have ridden through any other tunnel. So if that was the intent of the designers, engineers, and builders, then mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment