Thursday, October 7, 2010

Les Hannah, day 2, part 3

I had time to eat and even look around a bit. Turns out Reamai was there after all and I had just missed him by a few minutes; I guess the bus was running a bit late, so Reamai left and came back at the next scheduled bus’ time.
After a brief moment of reunion and discussion we loaded my three heavy suitcases into his car and took off. One of the first places he took me was a cultural center, which is really a gathering place where people who speak Irish (Gaelic) gather and just speak Irish. This building was old, seemingly having had a heyday as another type of building, but making a comeback with its current occupancy. There was a restaurant, which made me wish I had not eaten at the bus station. Also it had a small book store and gift shop. Upstairs was a small theatre and a radio station where all performances and broadcasts are in Gaelic.
Reamai had a bite to eat, and I a simple cup of Irish coffee, which I found very good but stronger than the coffee I am accustomed to in the US. He did some business with the fellow who runs the gift shop; Reamai’s wife makes and sells homemade body balms and apparently does a fairly nice bit of business with that.
Once the business was complete, Reamai took me to a local college just a short ways up the street from where we had been. I am unsure of the name; he told me and I have forgotten. I supposed I could look it up, or even email Reamai and ask, and I suppose I will before doing anything further with this, but for now “I forgot” will just have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment