Friday, October 8, 2010

Les Hannah, day 3, part final


Following the meal, Reamai took me to the University of Ulster to meet one of his former professors, a Professor of Gaelic language and studies. We had coffee together, more of that strong Irish coffee, and chatted for some time about language studies and preservation. This professor (his name escapes me right now as I write this) recently accepted a position at Queens University in Belfast, the exact University where Dr. Pam Louderback (NSU’s other Fulbright scholar, yeah Pam!) will be for her assignment. So I think NSU and Queens in Belfast will have a future together.
It was raining – again – by then, (I had seen rain every day so far) as Reamai took me simply for a long drive around the country side. Ireland, especially this part, is so naturally beautiful; no wonder it is known as the Emerald Island. It is so green.
After a long day of sightseeing and visiting it was time to get back home and relax for the evening. I depart my Irish friend in the morning on my way to other adventures. Reamai and I sat around for a couple of hours that evening just chatting, talking about language, swapping stories from the Gaelic and Cherokee cultures. That was good conversation. His wife joined the conversation a bit later, and we all talked about life in general and how people let things get in the way of truly understanding each other. Before we knew it the clock was pointing to nearly 1am. WOW! Everyone had an early day the next morning, so it was off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment