Friday, October 8, 2010

Les Hannah, day 3, part 1

I awoke early and was ready for the day by the time Reamai and his children were making ready for their day. Reamai’s wife had already departed. Reamai took his children to school and left me there for the few minutes he was gone. By the time he returned I was ready to go.

And the day began with a visit to the Gaelic Language Immersion school  his two youngest children attend. I visited every classroom and was warmly greeted by all the children. They were a lively bunch, great kids all. I spoke to them for a few minutes each, told them some Cherokee stories and exchanged a few words of Tsalagi for Gaelic; it was an even trade. I posed for some photos with the students. You may see those and other photos of this trip on my Facebook page.
Once finished at the school, Reamai took me around to see some of the most amazingly beautiful natural sites I have ever seen. When we to a small harbor at the bottom of some cliffs on the northeastern shore of Northern Ireland, where the North Atlantic and the Irish Sea collide. Collide is the proper term here as the clashing currents are clearly visible when standing atop the cliffs. The tides must be unholy. However, the food in the little café in the harbor was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment