Thursday, October 7, 2010

Les Hannah, day 1, part final

I made it to Atlata where I had the international connection, and as I sat in the international terminal for Delta and contemplated what the next two months might be the father in me wanted so very much to go home. The adventurer in me could not wait to leave. The professional I am made the decision for me. My family and I have known this day was coming for nearly a year. We had not thought of it much because until that day it had always been so far away. So many other, more immediate things needed my attentions, and this trip was always in the background. However, it arrived right on time, just like everything I don’t think twice about always does.
As the boarding call for Delta flight 176 Atlanta to Dublin was announced I stood and readied myself as I would before entering a classroom. This may seem odd to many people, even other teachers, but it helps me; it works for me, so I use it. I psych myself up as I would if I were stepping onto a ball field. Those who know me know I love to play ball and any athlete will know, understand, and appreciate the pre-game moment when you find your “zone.”  I use that same psychology as I prepare to step into a classroom. I used that same psychology in that moment, as I was about to step into that aircraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment