Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Les Hannah, day 13, part final

Friday, in this particular class, is cake day. It is a custom of this group of final year students to bring cakes to class and share them during lunch. A system of rotation between the students is in place to ensure that everyone has cake, but not everyone brings a cake at the same time. Three girls had the goodies this day: two brought cakes and one brought a selection of breads and spreads. The cakes were good – really good, but I went for those breads. I like bread anyway. Often I will get bread of some type and some Italian dressing, or sometimes ranch, and make a snack of that. Just sit there and dip the bread into the dressing and snack on that instead of chips.
Those breads were good, and the butter and other spreads were awesome. The butter here is so different. It is smoother and has a more intense flavor than the butter I am accustomed to in America. I have noticed that with many of the foods I have tried here – especially the ice cream. I have tried three different types of ice cream here – three types that I can also get in the States. And the flavor here is just so much more. I had never tasted strawberries like what I had on my ice cream here one day – and I’m from Stilwell. Those of you who know Stilwell’s claim to fame know the power of that particular statement. These berries were the most incredible I have ever tasted. Same with the blueberry ice cream I had a few days later. There is just so much more of the flavor that makes things good, and that same principle applied to the spreads and butter this young lady had with her breads.  Good stuff!
Well, this is not supposed to be a dissertation on the ice creams I have eaten while here, so I guess I had better get back to school. Following the cakes and breads class I was finished for the day, well at least at the school I was. I stayed around for a little while in my office working on something or another (I have honestly forgotten what) but it kept me occupied for an additional thirty or so minutes.
Once I left the school I headed to the city centre to do some walking around and check out a few of the shops. I really was not intending on shopping, but seeing what was available for when I did go back to get gifts for the family. I spent the next two hours walking around in downtown Esbjerg, just going from one shop to another. The clothing here is very nice. I am thinking about getting myself a new suit before I return to the States. Of course gifts for the family are on the list too: Tori, Lexi, my Mom, and others. But I really have no idea what. There are too many choices, which presents a whole new type of problem. Were there only a few things to choose from it may be much more simple; too few and it would be frustrating, but too many – and there are too many. Of course when I talk to the family via Skype and ask what they might want they are of no help. “Oh, I don’t know” or “Well, just whatever.” Guess I will keep going from time to time and hope inspiration strikes me when I am least expecting it.
Following my purchaseless shopping spree I headed back to the house where I settled in for the evening. Putting away my things for the day I took a walk along the little creek. No particular point to the walk other than to just enjoy the time out in nature. The sound of gently flowing water has a power over the soul. Sometimes I would like to be a leaf adrift on such waters and just see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment