Friday, October 29, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 6

I spent a great deal of time in the library doing research.  Much of what I will need is either in Special
Collections or the School of Education - a building that I haven't, as yet, located.  It's set up in a similar fashion as my undergraduate school where specialized collections reside in the specific schools.  A matter of convenience, I suppose. 

I had an interesting conversation with one of the law professors regarding abortion.  He was preparing for a lecture and while looking up some statistics - trust but verify - that he had been told, we engaged in conversation.  Abortion, unlike in America, is still illegal here.  Acording to statutes only two reasons exist allowing such a procedure - the mother's health, or a deformity of the infant.  Seems despite this, almost 200,000 abortions were provided last year.  On to more lively topic.

Here, firecrackers are a large part of halloween festivities so to add to the usual noise of pub crawlers making their way home, I heard the booming of firecrackers into the wee hours of the night, last night.  A greater number of sirens were going off as well.  I only hope there wasn.t a direct correlation between the two!  My apartment is surrounded by several pubs so it doesn' much make for a restful evening.  Most of the students sing rather loudly, and usually, unintelligible songs.  However, last night, I was able to distinctly make out the words (and a not so bad tune) of Bon Jovi's "Living on a prayer" from one group.  It's almost as fun as a Karaoke bar - and practically in my living room! 

I had an interesting conversation with one of the law professors regarding abortion.  He was preparing for a lecture and while looking up some statistics - trust but verify - that he had been told, we engaged in conversation.  Abortion, unlike in America, is still illegal here.  Acording to statutes only two reasons exist allowing such a procedure - the mother's health, or a deformity of the infant.  Seems despite this, almost 200,000 abortions were provided last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment