Monday, October 25, 2010

Les Hannah, day 12, part 2

Beginning to settle into a routine at the school helps the day go by quicker. Today I was in three classes back-to-back, following the weekly assembly. So far with all of the classes I have not had a scripted lesson plan, but just went in and began talking. After some quick talking points and a few seed questions the students opened up and began asking me questions. Today was no different.
I have started every class so far (once beyond the introductions) with “What do you know about American Indians?” Students list a few things, stereotypical images common even in the United States. And then I follow with, “And how do you know it?” And almost exactly the same thing I often hear in the US – “From movies and TV shows.” In an earlier post I noted that these people have approximately 6000 miles of geography between them and Indian Country, and that can certainly be an inhibitor to the intimate knowledge I would hope to find when inquiring and American’s indigenous peoples.
So I set almost immediately to busting myths, myths and stereotypes created, perpetuated, and compounded by movies such as Dances with Wolves and television shows such as Hondo. I have noticed that Hondo is on several channels here in Denmark. I have found it many times already. And each time I see it white men in makeup and buckskins are falling off the backs of horses every time Hondo gives them a look.
I discussed with these students, as with the others so far, the Trail of Tears and the Indian Removal Act. I also explained that similar forced removals have happened across the US and Canada and over a span of many years.  I discussed the differences between Reservations and Allotments. One student noticed I kept using the word Nation where referring to the American Indians; certainly I used it every time in relation to the Cherokee Nation. So I explained that and what tribal sovereignty is.
Also discussed were many of the negative stereotypes assigned to Indians: alcoholism, drug abuse, laziness. I had not been with these people very long (the Danes, not just this class) and did not have a real feel for their sensitivities on national issues, so what I said in response to that question was a bit of a gamble for me. I responded by asking,” Are there alcoholics in Denmark?” The answer was yes. “Are there drug addicts in Denmark?” The answer was again yes. “And are there lazy people in Denmark?” Once more, the answer was yes, but this time most of the class began laughing and pointing at a classmate of theirs. I suppose this young man has a bit of a reputation. But my point was beginning to take shape. Sensing that a good portion of the class got the notion of where I was taking this line of dialogue I finished it off with, “So why does the world not think of Danes as a nation of lazy alcoholics and drug addicts?” Point made – and taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment