Sunday, October 10, 2010

Les Hannah, day 4, part 1


Reamai’s wife had left before the rest of the family, and I, awoke. The children were up and ready for school; I was up and packed, ready for departure to the forthcoming adventures. Yesterday afternoon, before the long conversations, Reamai had helped me try to find transportation for the next leg of my odyssey. I had hoped to take a ferry over to Scotland and ride the rails through that country and into London, but the scheduling and booking just did not work out, so it was off to the airport. I booked a flight on a European regional airline that would take me from Belfast to London.
My flight was around 14:30 and Reamai had a dentist appointment about 13:00, so I was at the airport a bit early. No problem; it gave me time to reflect on the past two days. Reamai dropped me off about 11:00; we said our donadagohvis and slans (Gaelic for donadagohvi). Slan is actually where the good ol’ American expression “so long” comes from. See, this is educational.
I took the time in the airport to grab a bite to eat. Sampling some of the local items, a type of meat and vegetable “pie”, I found it very delicious and quite filling; I actually could not finish the meal, even though the portion was not that large.
The call to board came, and in line with boarding pass in hand I set off to London. The flight was only an hour and over with before I really even realized we were airborne. Guess I can sleep on planes after all. I must have dozed off for a while because that seemed a very short flight.

These photos show part of the ship yard where the Titanic was built. I took these from the plane as we were taxiing for departure. This shipyard is still active today, but not to the degree it was in the Titanic days.

No comments:

Post a Comment