Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Les Hannah, day 22, part final

I awoke early in Copenhagen and made my way to the station to board the morning train to Stockholm. However, I received a bit of a surprise as I was trying to get the seat assignment; turns out that the ticket office in Esbjerg sold me the wrong type of flexi pass. They sold me one good for Denmark only; I wanted one for Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Norway. Problem! But the problem was solved. I did not make the train I intended, but the ticket agent who was working with me took the time and made extra effort to ensure I had the correct flexi-pass. He cancelled the incorrect pass, in essence giving me free travel from Esbjerg to Copenhagen the day before, refunded every kroner and then issued the proper pass, for which I promptly paid with the money he just refunded. This man was extremely friendly, and he did everything he could to make things right with me, even gave me coupons for free coffee.
I have to pause here for a moment and acknowledge the friendliness of these people. As a nation I do not believe I have ever encountered such friendly people. This statement would hold true for the remainder of my trips throughout Denmark during this week. When I asked a question, they graciously answered, and they did not at all mind that I spoke no Danish. When I showed my American ignorance, they politely informed me, and/or guided me through whatever the process of the moment happened to be. These are some genuinely friendly people.
Once the matter of the proper ticket was settled I was finally able to board a train to Stockholm. The trip was approximately five hours on a high-speed train. There were a few stops, but for the most part that train was an express. I have no idea how fast it was going, but the trees were nothing but green blurs whizzing by the windows. This train was the kind that “leaned” into the turns as it rounded a bend. The tilt of the cars felt a bit funny at first; I had not been on such a train since my trip to Switzerland about four years ago.
The scenery, that at a distance, was beautiful. The scenery close to the train was but a blur, but I am certain it too was beautiful. I tried to take a few photos of the distant landscapes but the movement of the train made it all but impossible. What few shots I did succeed in getting are not that good.
No matter; I was in Stockholm , Sweden by the mid-afternoon. And the first thing I did – why looked for the Swedish Bikini Team of course. Nah! – went walking around. I walked about the area near the train station to find a hotel to use as a base of operations for my Stockholm adventure. Once I located a place and settled in I relaxed for a while before resuming my vagabond explorations. Walking sure can make a person hungry, so I wandered into a kabob restaurant and tried one of the house specialties. My fellow Riverhawks, I am here to tell you it was fantastic. The food in this part of the world is simply amazing. I do not believe I have had a bad meal yet. Even the plain meals are good, but the special meals are phenomenal. And this was, as restaurants go, a fast food joint – a fast food kabob joint that served one of the finest kabob meals I believe I have ever tasted.
Following that fast food feast, I finally found (like my alliteration?) my way back to the hotel where I settled in for the evening. I was exhausted, but also excited. Here I was in Stockholm, Sweden, full of kabob and ready to explore the city the next morning. I would get little sleep this night, but I am somewhat accustomed to that. This, however, was excited insomnia.

Stockholm Central Station


Stockholm Central Station



No comments:

Post a Comment