Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 55, part final

I then made my way to the Theology department where I finally met Armin. We talked for a while in his office, had a bite of lunch and then talked some more as he took me on a small tour of a large campus. While at lunch I met several of Armin’s colleagues. By a strange twist of fate I also met another American, from a university in southern California, who had applied for the exact same Fulbright position I did and ultimately got. In other words I met my competition for the Fulbright I received. What are the odds of that? This professor had been to Denmark before and wanted to come back, so when he applied he specifically requested a teaching assignment in Denmark. The only teaching scholar’s assignment in Denmark was this one, the one I have. It wasn’t awkward, but it certainly was interesting. He was at Aarhus I guess on sabbatical from his university in California; I was only around him for a few minutes but it was still interesting to meet the competition.
Following lunch Armin took me around the campus. By this time it was raining a bit heavier so the tour was hampered some by that, but I got a decent look at several places. Armin and I bade farewell in the midafternoon as he dropped me off at the Fine Arts museum. I spent some time there looking about. Could not take any photos, but enjoyed the time there nonetheless. The walk back to the train station was cold and damp, but short and quick.
Back to Fredericia, where I again changed trains and then on to Esbjerg. I got back to the flat in the early evening and made a quick decision to do my laundry tonight before the mad rush of everyone trying to do theirs in the morning. So as the 200 minutes ticked away I watched television and did some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment