Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 59, part final

Following classes I had to make a quick trip to the Esbjerg Museum; I had a scheduled meeting with Ingrid, one of the curators of this museum; she is also associated with the Viking Museum at Ribe. Joan, one of the teachers at the school, helped to arrange this meeting. Ingrid and I discussed the potential contact Vikings had with Cherokees. I mentioned this some time ago in previous posts. Ingrid was convinced there was contact, but not direct contact – not between Danish Vikings and southeastern woodlands tribes. She was confident that direct contact happened between Norwegian Vikings and northeastern tribes; any contact between Danish Vikings and southeastern tribes was indirect. However, it was clear that cultural aspects were exchanged, perhaps over several hundred years, but cultural influences with each other did happen.
Ingrid also gave me a personal tour of the museum. Again, as in Ribe, I saw many things similar, and we discussed the striking similarities between peoples of great geographic differences. Humans are a very interesting species. We are more alike my friends, than we are unalike – to quote a little Maya Angelou here. Check her poem “Human Family” and you will see what I mean.
Following my time at the Esbjerg Museum I had just enough time to return to the flat, drop off my things and walk to Soren’s company. Soren made an appointment for me this afternoon at the Esbjerg Maritime Museum and Aquarium. The director there is one of his many friends. I swear I think Soren knows most of Denmark and certainly every person in Esbjerg, and he is friends with all of them. I can understand why too; he’s a great guy. Anyway, I got to his company just in time. Soren’s mother arrived just before he and I were to leave for the museum, and she brought fresh, home-baked cake.  You already know how I feel about the food here in Denmark, well let me just say that cake improved my thoughts on the food. It was outstanding. So, after two pieces and a coffee Soren and I headed to the museum where we spent the next two hours visiting with the director. We talked about a great variety of things. This man is also a professor and he has been all over the world, spent a good deal of time in the US actually. Seemed like every place I mentioned he had been there. He did offer personalized tours and study opportunities should I bring students back some day. Plan on it.
Following the discussions, Soren and I walked through the museum and aquarium some. Took a quick self-guided tour. It is not a huge place but they do have quite the impressive collection. Once that was completed Soren drove me to the flat. However, I did not stay long. I still had one more event to attend: the final hockey game of the season.
I went by myself to this one, but I really was not by myself because I know so many people here now. Saw several that I know. I truly like that, being able to go somewhere and know some people there. I saw several of the students from the school, even saw a few people from previous hockey games I’ve attended, regular fans. We recognized each other and started talking. Wish we could have talked the team into a better game; they lost. Crap. All of the scoring was done in the first two periods, and there was quite a bit of it. 5 – 4 other guys. That just made the walk back to the flat even colder – and it was still snowing.
Once back at the flat I thawed out, made show nothing had frozen off, then I did some reading of a few articles I was given while at Aarhus University and finally headed to bed. What a day. Great day. The only thing that could have made it better was Esbjerg winning that hockey game. I really love this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment