Sunday, November 28, 2010

Les Hannah, day 59, part 1

Well it was certainly cold this morning – and that snow I mentioned in yesterday’s entry found its way to Esbjerg. It was snowing quite hard at times, but funny thing, as cold it is was the snow was not sticking. Surely the ground was not still that warm, but I suppose it was because although it was snowing quite steadily and even hard at times, nothing really stuck. Sure, on the cars and certain places where the snow drifted some, but for the most part it melted as quickly as it hit.
I had the second and third lessons today at school, but as I do even at home, I went in early. I worked on answering emails and trying to promote upcoming courses in Languages and Literature. Getting ready for the forthcoming semester is always a hectic time, especially so with so many miles distance between me and the offices and people I need ready access to. Nonetheless, I did what I could in the time I had before classes.
The classes again, as has been typical – especially lately, went very well. Dialogues have certainly improved since the student became more comfortable with me. The afternoon class I had to myself and we used it to discuss the forthcoming merger this school will soon have with another handelsskole. The new school’s name was announced today in a general assembly to the student body. The new combined school will be called Esbjerg City College. The students and I discussed the implications of the new name and the potential struggles they may face, but in the end it seemed as if they were not too overly worried about it. That is one thing I have noticed about Danes in general; they seem not to worry themselves too much over things that in the end do not really matter. They have priorities I can admire. Several of the students commented that in the end it is not really the name that matters but the education.

No comments:

Post a Comment