Friday, November 5, 2010

Les Hannah, day 29, part final

I awoke and headed for breakfast in the hotel’s café. As had been the norm while I was there it was quite busy. I did some more Copenhagen in the morning, covered many of the same places I had already been but did not finish, so I went back to see some of what I had missed. One such place was the museum right behind the hotel. I had walked so much the day I went to see it that my back was hurting, so I cut that short and went back to the hotel to rest. Well I went back today to finish it off. There was an Egyptian exhibit and a Greek exhibit that I completely missed before. I got them this time. And by the time I got them covered it was time to head to the train station.
I took an early afternoon train back to Esbjerg. This was more of an express train, limited stops. It arrived in just over three hours. I caught the bus back to the house where I was living and it was when I entered that I found a mess.
I knew it had rained during the time I was gone. A storm was forecast and it had been raining much of the time during my trip to Copenhagen. However, the rain the capital city received was but a fraction of what Esbjerg received. Apparently the rain was much more and much more severe here in Esbjerg. The sun room was flooded. There was a thin layer of water all over the sun room floor. The roof was leaking. I could see where the water had come in and had dripped onto the coffee table and then the floor. I did have some things on the table but luckily they did not get wet as they were at the opposite end from the water. So I took a towel that was dirty and mopped up as much of the water as I could, taking the towel outside each time to wring it out. But the water was still dripping because it was still raining.
I eventually gave up and went to bed. It rained all night; I could hear the drip in the sun room throughout the evening, and I knew I would have more of the same awaiting me in the morning. As the evening progressed I began to feel dizzy – not sick, not really – just dizzy, as if I had been spinning or was slightly drunk, though I had done neither (spun nor drank). It felt as if it were my sinuses, and that made sense because of all the walking around out in the cold I had done, so I wrote it off to that and tried to go to bed, but as I lay there the room seemed more and more to spin. It took a while for me to settle in where I could actually sleep and I finally drifted off.

No comments:

Post a Comment