Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 36

Saturday began well with the hopes of attending a protest to oppose the recent cuts program.  The evening prior, I was invited to attend the protest which whould take place on O'Connell Street (one of Europe's widest streets and Dublin's main thoroughfare) outside the General Post Office (GPO) -- fitting spot considering the revolution, and all (Easter Rising of 1916, Irish Civil War of 1922).  Anyway, although the protest wouldn't begin until noon, my cohorts were going to leave four hours early --- ostensibly to meet prior to said protest and make signs, placards, and banners.  I told them I'd meet up with them and they left their mobile number with me. 

It had snowed the night before, about an inch or so, and the whole area was in a whirl.  Seems this type of weather hadn't been seen in decades, maybe never.  It was quite cold as well -- 10 degrees below, so I opted to skip said protest and join others for a trip to a mall situated in Swords.  I was able to secure a digital recorder so the trip was fruitful to my resesearch -- a definite need.  I saw many lovely things I wanted but only purchased a sliced turkey sandwich and a diet coke which set me back about ten Euro ($18).  I still am amazed at how high the prices are for food and clothing -- some items are four times more than in the States. 

I heard later that there were over 50,000 people on the streets opposing the cuts.  The rally was peaceful for Ireland standards although scuffels at Dail occurred during the breakaway event (after the rally).  The rally was organized by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions in protest at the Government.  At the main rally at the GPO speakers strongly criticized the Government's four-year plan for economic recovery.  Many feel Ireland can't afford to pay the terms of the proposed 85 billion Euro bailout package. The aim of the rally was to object to the insistence of a Government with no mandate to draw  up a plan and sign an agreement which will decide the future of one or two generations.  Some speakers criticized union leadres and calle for a series of national strikes unless there could be an alternate to the four year plan by bringing down the debt over a longer period of time.  A number of portesters threw paint bombs that hit the railing of Leinster House.  Fireworks and glass bottles were also thrown at gardai (police).  One person was arrested.  In retrospect, I guess it was just as well I didn't show.  I could see the headlines now -- 'American Fulbright scholar arrested today in Dublin' -- will be deported and stripped of Fulbright...  

No comments:

Post a Comment