Friday, November 12, 2010

Les Hannah, day 39, part final

I will forego any discussions of politics; by now opinions have been rendered without any of my input, so on with life – and the day.
I made my way to the school this morning, being one of the first to arrive. For some reason I had difficulties getting a connection with the wifi device I had been using at the flat, so I went to the school early to get caught up on emails. I had only one lesson today, the second period, and that was with a class I visited during the second week but had not seen since. Some days ago I gave their teacher some literature, a few poems and a couple of short stories. He made copies of the works and the students had read them and determined their own criticisms from their perspectives and understandings of general literature. Of course for many of these students it was their first ever exposure to Native Lit. In general criticism they did very well. They understood the basic structures within the short stories, which were first person narratives, and they had developed a map of the dialogues. Of course there were specific things they had no concept of, things specific to Native Lit and that many American Literature majors do not know. So the questions were very good, very targeted, and good questions from this group. I really enjoy a dialogue with students, when they interact and their inquisitive natures emerge. When they overcome their shyness and that intellectual curiosity takes over, that’s one method of stimulating the teachable moment.
That was the only class I had today because I had a field trip to Ribe. I was invited to tour this small – but oldest – city in Denmark, visit the Viking Museum and spend the evening in the home of one of the teachers at the school.  So follow class I made my way back to the flat for only a few minutes, mainly to drop off my computer and a few other things before making my way onto the Esbjerg train station to catch the local to Ribe, only about a thirty minute ride. Right on time the train left Esbjerg and arrived in Ribe.
I was met at the Ribe main station by Joan (one of the teachers) and we went directly to the Viking Museum, which is just across the street. Immediately I noticed many things that Cherokees would recognize. By that I mean the layout of the villages with what Cherokees call Longhouses. (The museum had a diorama of a Viking village.) Also bead work, pottery, even rattles very similar to the type used in Gourd Dancing. So many of the things I witnessed in that museum are either the same or very similar to many of the things in the Heritage Center and the Ancient Village at Park Hill. I would hope that some curators of each museum or some of the archeologists might someday get together and discuss these similarities. Perhaps they already have and I simply do not know of it, but if they have not someone help me arrange that ok!
Following the time in the museum, Joan and I walked about in Ribe for a while. She showed me two of the churches in the town, both magnificent in the architecture. I like looking at the architecture of old churches. We also walked around some of the streets of Ribe, ventured into a few shops; I was able to do some shopping of the Christmas/birthday/what-the-heck variety. Now I may return to the United States when the time comes for I have gifts. And then I got something for myself – and ice cream cone. That small shop in Esbjerg has been closed lately when I go by it, so I have been deprived of my limone ice cream lately. That’s my one complaint about Denmark so far. It should be an international crime against humanity to have ice cream this magnificent and not have it available 24/7/365. But enough about that.
I was then treated to an evening with Joan and her family. Her husband arrived home shortly after we did; introductions were made and conversations began. There were any questions, from both sides. I learned more about the Danes, they learned more about Cherokees. The evening was great. We even played an impromptu (and very much scaled down) game of Cherokee Marbles. That was fun; we played in the hallway and set up small dishes as the holes, then used small plastic balls as marbles. Even on the much smaller court with the modified structure that game lasted several minutes.
Joan brought me back to Esbjerg following more conversations after the children went to be. I really enjoyed this evening; the conversation was the highlight. I truly enjoy talking to people who have a genuine interest in learning from others and teaching others in return. There were no agendas, no politics, just genuine interest and mutual respect. I enjoyed the evening. Wado Joan and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment