Monday, November 8, 2010

Les Hannah, day 30, part final

I had the next period off, so I sat in my office and played catch up on emails and related items that built up during my Potato Week trainstravaganza. The third period I was back with Joan again, and this time to a class I had not yet met. This was a third year group of students, a group that I did not see during my first week here, they were gone on their class trip the second week, and of course everyone was gone during this past week. This particular class went to Athens.  I gave this group the general introduction and first day discussions I gave the other classes I was with during my first week here. I asked about their general knowledge of American Indians in particular, and I got the typical responses – all of which are primarily Hollywood stereotypes – and then I proceeded to destroy every one of those. Not in a mean way – not toward the students at least, but in a way that had them questioning everything they thought they knew about American Indians. I really love doing that – destroying stereotypes, that is.
Well, that particular session ended and then it was time to face the reality of the long bike ride back to my house. I say long in this entry because it was raining – hard. And the wind was blowing – hard. A head wind. Also I had to stop by the grocery store and get – well, everything. I was out of most everything necessary to life alone in a leaky summer house in Esbjerg, Denmark.
I was still feeling somewhat dizzy, but it seemed to have subsided a bit. I tried to outwait the rain, but it had more persistence than I had patience, so I finally saddled up and headed out. I was in rain only part of the way actually, but I think I would have traded a light rain for the wind. That wind was blowing so hard that I could not ride the bike. I had to get off and push it. I ended up going that most of the way home; of course I still had to stop at the store, which I did. Got what I knew I could carry, knowing I would stop again tomorrow for more, then I headed back out into the wind. It took me more than an hour to get to the house today. I rode the bike only very short distances and only a few times, perhaps no more than a kilometer total, but I finally made it. I put away my groceries and took some of the aspirins I also purchased; normally I do not take medicine of any kind. I have to be seriously hurting before I will take something, and by the time I got to the store I was hurting; my head was pounding, so I bought some aspirins and took some once I got to the house.
I did have electricity, and still had a leak. During the day I did go to the rental agency that manages this house and told them of the leak, the electricity outage, the small layer of water in the sun room floor and that the television also now did not work. I think the TV got leaked on or maybe splashed on. But I had electricity, so I had heat and hot water for a hot shower in the morning, and light so I won’t have to dress in the dark. YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment