Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Les Hannah, day 47, part final

I had a relatively light day today, only one class during the second period, and I bet you can’t guess what the topic was. Yep, “Witch of Goingsnake.” I have really done well with that, but I think that is about it for the classes that received this short story. There may be one more class, but I know I am reaching the end of the list on classes that received this work.
Immediately after class I met with Pia again briefly to plan some events during my final days here. Again I cannot believe this time has gone by this quickly. I noted previously that as I first began this Fulbright assignment it seemed as if the end would never come, but it is upon me soon. This week is nearly over; I am traveling some next week for speaking engagements and meetings so I do not have a full week at the school; one more full week following that and then I leave the week after. So, anyway, back to the present day.
At noon nearly all of the school, and here I literally mean nearly all, went to a local cinema, very nearby, to watch the movie The Social Network. I think this may be a monthly event, not Social Network every time but going to the movies once a month. Last month during the Remember the 80s events, nearly all the school went to the cinema to watch Flashdance. I did not go then, but I went this time. The movie was good, and I recommend seeing it should you have the opportunity, but that is far from the point I am hoping to make with this particular entry. The point I wish to make is this is yet another example of socialization the students have with each other and the faculty and staff. The afternoon classes were dismissed and the entire school practically shut down so everyone who wanted could attend the movie. And from the looks of it nearly everyone attended.
Now I know and fully understand that something like this will never happen at NSU and quite likely any other university/ school in the American system. Our system is simply not structured in such a manner that anything like this would ever be possible. I am not advocating for the redesign of an entire system just so I can go to the movies with students. The point I am trying to make is once again these people have demonstrated that they associate with each other. They actually do things together. This seems to me to be a more holistic approach to education, getting to know the students as more than just a number (GPA). On the walk to the cinema (yes, they even walked together) I conversed with one of my officemates. He was telling me that there is a movie club, that once a month members of this group make it a point to go to the movies together and then afterwards for coffee or drinks and discuss the movie – just so they can be in each others’ company. I am impressed, truly impressed.
Following the movie I returned to the office briefly where I called my family for our regular Skype session. Lexi has a cold, or at least the sniffles. And following that I headed to the flat to do the glorious task of laundry. I have learned to do it on a weekday if possible; laundry on the weekend is near impossibility. Everyone in this building is trying to do their laundry, and at 200 minutes a pop, well …. As luck would have it the only working machine was open. I will not bore you with the remaining details of this. And that is all the news that’s fit to print – well, for today at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment