Monday, November 8, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 15 : Part 2

Once I arrived in Dublin, it had an epiphany-like awareness followed by an overwhelming feeling of stupidity that not only had I failed to share with my contact, Gemma, how I looked, she had not shared any pertinent information with me regarding how she looked.  So, here I was, almost three hours after I was supposed to arrive, and I had no earthly idea how Gemma looked.  Thank God I had her mobile number - so I dialed it and left another message informing her that I had arrived and would be standing across from the ticket counter.  So, I waited -- and I waited -- and I waited.  After about 10 minutes, I noticed train officials, I guess they were security, begin to linger around my area.  After another 5 minutes, two gentlemen stayed close, one flanking each of my left and right sides.  After about another 10 minutes, one of the security officers left.  Another 10 minutes passed and I began to become concerned.  Mind you, all this time I kept intently watching every woman who walked anywhere near the ticket office - which was quite a few - trying to discern if they seemed to be looking for someone - namely me - to meet. I probably appeared to be casing the area, or at the least, up to no good.

Although it would be expensive, I decided my last resort was to call Gemma again.  Praise be to God and all the Saints - she answered this time!  Seems she had left her phone in her daughter's room to charge the evening prior.  Not wanting to disturb her daughter's sleep, she had left her phone on the charger in her daughter's room.  She had been to Dublin (all morning) and had just left!  She didn't get the message that I would be coming at 12:45, not 10 - and she didn't get the message that I had arrived (at 12:45) and was waiting across from the ticket counter.  She suggested I get a ticket from Dublin Connoly to Donabate - which is where she actually lives.  Not thinking I'd need euros, I hadn't changed any of my pounds but I nonchalantly approached the woman at the ticket counter, asked for a ticket to Donabate and plunked down a bunch of change (in pounds, not euros) telling her that was all I had.  Thankfully, she took the money after giving me a sharp warning that I needed euros here but she'd allow it just this one time.

The short trip to Donabate was pleasant enough but halfway there I again recalled that I had no earthly idea how Gemma looked, and she had no idea what I looked like.  In all the excitement - I had forgotten to relay this pertinent information to her.  I could chalk it up to jet lag save for the fact I've been here for two weeks.  However, when I arrived in Donabate, there stood a woman in one of the most gorgeous black suede cowhide jackets with fringe and elaborate beadwork.  She had worn it knowing I would be able to 'pick her out' from the crowd -- very effective!  The walk to her home was mere blocks away where I met her family - which included two dogs (yeah!) and a cat - and settled in for the weekend.  More on that later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment