Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Les Hannah, day 23, part final

Stockholm, Sweden – what a city. I was up early, had breakfast in the hotel café. The breakfast was included with the room, what we would call a continental breakfast in the US, but this was no US continental breakfast. This was something like what a chef might prepare. Eggs, bacon, ham, fruit, fruit, fruit. Lots of fruit. This was a spread now. One of the finest breakfast spreads I have seen. The bacon was not the fatty American style bacon either; it was very lean – and crispy, but not crunchy.
Following a lingering breakfast it was time to go walkabout in the city. And some serious walking was done. I have no idea how far, but a sizable portion of the centre of Stockholm was covered, let me tell you. The museums were phenomenal; the shops equally phenomenal. Stockholm is a city I recommend to those seeking an educational adventure.
An accidental discovery was the Chinese Terracotta Army; it was on display in some old World War 2 air raid bunkers near the harbor. The goal was the National Museum, but since today was Monday, and most museums are closed on Monday, well the museum was closed. However, just a few dozen meters from the museum was the Terracotta Army display. And what a brilliant choice of location for the display of this wonder of China. The arrangement was astounding; I know very little about the artistry behind exhibitions in museums and galleries, but I was walking with a woman who knew a thing or two about museums and she was explaining to me the care and artistry required to undertake such an endeavor. I have a deeper appreciation for and greater insight into museums now thanks to her detailed explanations.
More walking eventually took me back to the hotel where I spent another night, but there was one more order of business before settling in for the evening. Dinner. During one of the walking stretches I passed a Mongolian BBQ restaurant that seemed quite good. Headed back there for dinner. I was not wrong; this place was extraordinary. I ate my fill of sushi and Mongolian cooking. Outstanding. I swear I have not had a bad meal on this trip yet. I now must add food to the list of reason to take a trip to Scandinavia. I imagine a top ten list from Letterman, well Hannah, on reasons to visit Scandinavia might go something like this: 10 – scenery, 9 – culture, 8 – history, 7 – just because, - 6 – education, 5 – art, 4 – languages, 3 – food, 2 – food, 1 – food.
I finally made my way back to the hotel for the evening, settled in and tried to watch a little TV, but was simply overcome by all the walking I had done, so to bed it was.
See this blog's photo supplement page for photos of my walking excursions throughout Stockholm.

No comments:

Post a Comment