Friday, November 5, 2010

Les Hannah, day 28, part final

More walking around in Copenhagen was what I had in store for me today. Much more of the same, so I will not bore you with the minor details of the “this and thatness” of the city streets, but I did do a couple of things different. Today I took a canal tour of the city; that is where passengers may board a specially designed boat and tour the canals and harbors of Copenhagen. These are hop-on/hop-off boats where once you purchase a ticket it is good all day, and you may ride around the entirety of the city – well the canals at least. So I did that. I saw many of the same things I saw yesterday, but from the canal point of view; however, what was uniquely different was the narration of the tour. These were guided tours where a narrator, in my case Rasmus, gave the history of the area. This alone was worth it. Copenhagen is a city full of history. Some of the buildings I was wondering about as I was wandering about, well my questions were answered by Rasmus. For example the old stock exchange building. Another was an old building that served as an early Parliament building.
Then we came to a building I had actually passed yesterday, an old church building with a spire that reached heavenward, nearly making it I think. People are allowed to climb to the top of the spire and look about the panorama of Copenhagen it offers. Several people from the canal tour I was on deboarded here and went to do that very thing, me being one of them.  One couple was from Johannesburg, South Africa. I talked with them a little as we climbed the 396 steps to the top. (Yes, I counted them – but not until coming back down.) While that may not seem like many steps it does take one quite high into the lower atmosphere. The view was spectacular from the highest point of this spire. Please see my Facebook page for several of the shots I took from here. 
Following this I stopped for another pastry – OK two. But I cannot be faulted for sinning that much; after all I was just in a church and I was doing some of the most strenuous walking known to the species human.
Another thing I had while out on this evenings jaunt was a burger, yes a burger from a small café very near the church with the tall golden spire. Here I discovered the best burger I believe I have ever had. Yes, Denmark has the best burgers but I did not find it at the shop in Esbjerg; it is in Denmark though. The burger was fantastic, and the potatoes (I dare not call them fries) were like none I have ever had. I am telling you though the food may be expensive here it is worth it.
While I am on that topic I recall something Rasmus, the canal tour guide, mentioned while we were motoring about the harbor. He pointed out a restaurant near the new opera house that is reputed to be the best restaurant in the world. Whoever, or whatever group did this survey proclaimed the restaurant to be the best in the world; sorry but the name of it escapes me now. I do recall, however, Rasmus noting the reservations should be made four to six months in advance. I will not be here that long, but I would like to do some field research. If this is the best restaurant in the world it has got to be miraculous if it is to fend off the wares I have tasted in “ordinary” cafes. Denmark has amazing food.
Back to the hotel for night. It was not long before I was asleep. It had been a good day. I had eaten well, walked over most of Copenhagen, and been in amazing company all day. The Danes have got to be the friendliest people I have ever met. I really do believe that. I know it is probably getting old to read about in nearly every post, but I cannot convey that enough. Danes are friendly.

(see my Copenhagen photos page in another area on this blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment