Saturday, November 20, 2010

Les Hannah, day 42, part final

Guess what I did this morning. Slept in. After all I partied like it was 1980 last night. I had fun. And for a good part of the morning, once I got up that is, I reflected on last night. I was still amazed at the level of interaction the students initiated with me. I guess I am not so surprised that they are as smart as they are; I had really suspected that all along, but to see them come out from behind their walls and really open up and talk to me, that is what I guess I was surprised at the most. I mean that in a good way. I want my students back home to have a comfort level with me that allows intellectual dialogue, and that is what I got here last night. The girls wanted to talk about culture and identity (well and to dance too) and the boys wanted to talk about politics and religion.
I eventually got around to doing a few things, making something that resembled progress on matters of importance for back home and the forthcoming presentations. I worked on these for a couple of hours before deciding to go into the city centre. I had some lunch there, saw one of the teachers from the school and her husband. We discussed the party a bit, and then I went to the Musikhaus (opera or concert house) for what I thought was an arts and crafts show. Well, like sort of was – in a way – but it was more like a housewares show. It was good. I walked around for a bit, saw some of the latest home improvement wares and utilities, some clothing and actual crafts. I then made my way back to the flat where I spent the remainder of the day.
Here I would love to say I immediately set to work and got all of my projects done, or at least made some progress but I took a nap instead. I did get up a bit later and work on things so progress was made, just not as much as should have been, but hey – I’ve been in the 80s for a while. I need some time to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment