Monday, November 22, 2010

Pamela Louderback, Day 30

On the way to church, I met a young man dragging along what appeared to be a wee English Springer Spaniel puppy of no more than 7 or 8 weeks.  I was late, as usual, but given my need for a 'dog fix' I enquired whether I could pet his puppy.  His gruff reply, 'no, I was out for a walk only'.  Of course, uncharacteristic of me (but considering the awful plight that I found myself in) I snuck a quick pat on the puppy's head despite his refusal, and scratched it's ears with my right hand while cupping it's sweet little face in my left -- all in about two seconds -- before he could stop me.  I know, it was very horrible of me to do so, but desperate times, as they say, call for desperate measures.  I left him to his grumbling - sneaked one last peak - as he continued to drag the poor thing down the street. 

Mass was especially nice this weekend as the choir was present.  They were quite talented and even sang a few songs in Latin.  This time, unlike my previous visit, the church was almost completely full.  There was mention of during Mass as well as in the bulletin of consolidating/changing mass times -- this may have accounted for the increase in people.  I mention this primarily because the close proximity of other parisheners provided me with a different perspective than my previous visit.  I noticed that at certain times, during well-known, oft spoken portions of the Mass, different words were used than what I was accustomed to.  I found myself tripping over phrases immediately following - getting caught up in the moment of, 'wait, what was that she said...oh, no -- where was I!'  And at times, parisheners spoke so quickly, I fell behind -- only able to blurt out every other word or so.  And to make matters even more confusing (but, in retrospect, rather cool) there was an older gentleman in front of me who interjected responses in English, Latin, and Irish at certain times throughout -- in no particular order. 

Since I had been late departing for Mass, (a 20 minute walk), I had forgotten my umbrella.  Unfortunate for me, five minutes into my walk home, it began to rain, and rain quite hard.  Fifteen minutes later, I arrived at my apartment soaking wet!  The coat I was wearing is 100% wool so not only did I probably ruin this really nice coat, it now has a 'smell' to it as if it were still attached to a very smelly sheep, and a dying sheep at that.  Note to self...always take the umbrella! 

After having a really long hot shower, I turned the heat on full blast -- I logically decided that since it was daylight, it didn't matter how noisy the banging, hissing, gurgling gas heating units became.  And quite frankly, at that point, I didn't much care if my 'noise level' was bothering the neighbors.  Afterward, I climbed back into bed and read the Sunday paper for a good two hours - taking in all the news, some local (most comments lost on my ignorance of the local nuances), some national (again, many comments meaning little to me), and international news.   Later, I went to the Student Union and was surprised by a real treat -- the radio station was set to a station with a D.J. interviewing, none other than the 'Divine M' - Bette Midler who happened to be in London pitching a new CD.  Being a HUGE Midler fan, I sat there enrapt in wonder, listening to her every word.  To make things even better - she sang a couple of tunes from the CD - one entitled --   'He Was Too Good to Me'


He was too good to me.
How will I get along now
So close he stood to me.
Everything seems all wrong now.
He would have brought me the sun.
Making me smile, that was his fun.

When I was mean to him
he'd never say, 'Go away, now.'
I was a queen to him.
Who's gonna light my way now
It's only natural that I'm blue.
He was too good to be true.

You'd never recognize the room.
The pictures all have different frames now.
And all the chairs are rearranged now.
Somehow, I've thrown out every souvenir.
Yes, there've been changes made
since you stayed here.

You'd never recognize the street.
The neighbor's kids play different games now.
The colors in the trees have changed now.
Strange how I've hardly thought of you this year.
Yes, there've been changes made since you stayed here.

The same address, the more or less.
More happens, less matters, I guess.

You'd never recognize my life.
The party-givers know my name now.
And when I cry it's not the same now.
Somehow, I never waste a single tear.
Yes, there've been changes made
since you stayed here.

You'd never recognize the room.
You'd never recognize . . .
-------------------------------

Maybe it was the rain...maybe I'm missing home.. Of course,.it was always (and still remains) one of my favorites -- and as always, it brought me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment